What hole is this!?!
Jun 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I have the following engine crane & engine stand from Harbor Freight:
Stand
image_11450.jpg

Crane
image_11834.jpg

My problem is that the engine is suspended on the crane and there seems to be no way to line it up in order to install the engine on the engine stand. And the 2 legs on the stand wont fit "inside" the two legs of the crane far enough to get the engine installed.

I tried spinning it around "doggy style" and the boom is as far extended as it will go.

These pictures might illustrate the problem better:
2011-11-21_19-26-38_317.jpg

2011-11-21_19-26-25_609-1.jpg

Is there a trick to this? I figured same company; They must be designed to work together, but I'm at a loss. Anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• image_11450.jpg
    image_11450.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 670
  • image_11834.jpg
    image_11834.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,105
  • 2011-11-21_19-26-38_317.jpg
    2011-11-21_19-26-38_317.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 986
  • 2011-11-21_19-26-25_609-1.jpg
    2011-11-21_19-26-25_609-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Sponsors (?)

This must be your first time? Basically, all you need to do pick the engine stand up with your hands and slide it onto the engine will its suspended. You have to have the engine pretty high to accomplish this. Then you let done the whole assembly together. Good luck.

Hey. Yes this is definitely my first time at this. It's been interesting, but fun.

Anyways... I'm a little confused about what you were saying because after attaching the whole stand to the engine while it's suspended, I will have to lower it.

At some point there will be weight transfer between the crane and the stand. It sounds like at this point the stand would not be flat on the ground. Without some daredevil maneuver, I'm not sure I'd be able to lower the assembly without hitting part of the crane.

Maybe I'm just not understanding. I'm thinking I should've bought the 3-legged stand with 4 wheels instead.

Yeah the boom is all the way out. All the way out is rated at 500 lbs so I'm probably pushing it so as it is.

I will try more again tonight (more chain/twisting/etc). If it seems too sketchy, I will just have to get a different stand. :notnice:

So maybe the old fashioned three legged engine stand has some bennies? I doubt Harbor Freight designed any of this.

As noted lift the engine, put the base of the stand on the bracket, tighten the bolt.

Then do what ya gotta do to get the engine on the ground safely. Maybe set the hoist on some 2x4's so the legs of the stand will go under it?

I moved an engine out of a basement once on a stand and hooked it to a hoist outside the door, because both tools were too big to fit through the door. Also moved the hoist and engine 50 ft across a dirt driveway by myself. Lots of plywood.

Sometimes being a redneck has advantages.

You need to bolt the chain to the right front cylinder head and left rear cylinder head so that the engine is balanced and the least amount of slack in the chain possible, then lift engine high, pick up stand and slide it on the tube and lock it, then lower.