need help guys,can factory aod,and 8.8 rear handle 500hp

willys1

Dec 2, 2003
New Jersey
Guys I wanna buy a 306 that has 620hp to the wheels,only it has a blower.Im not gonna buy the blower,just the motor.I have an aod with a shift kit,and the stock rear with 3.73 gears.Can these components handle 5ooHP???

• Sponsors (?)

well the aod will but not for long if it was me i would buy a tci converter and trans and be done with that, but a aod can take some power if it is built right.

the rearend will be ok but if it was me i would get a 31 spline and a good posi and and good cover and it will take the power

mustangrfast88 said:
well the aod will but not for long if it was me i would buy a tci converter and trans and be done with that, but a aod can take some power if it is built right.

the rearend will be ok but if it was me i would get a 31 spline and a good posi and and good cover and it will take the power
I have a Precision Industries converter,but I mite have to up the stall speed.Rite now its a 2800.

Unfortunatly the AOD wont stand a chance man, I can gurantee you that. It will last a little while but not a long time. Either beef it up, buy a TCI or Presision or some other reputal brand, or throw a C4 or C6 in it. As for the 8.8 it wont stand a chance if you are going to be using slicks once in a while. I imagine you will be using some sort of slick, since what is 500HP if you got no traction right? Better put it in your budget to beef up both the tranny and rear. One suggestion though. Do what I did. Sell the 8.8 before you blow it up. I sold mine for $1300.00Canadian as it had 28S Moser Axels, TA Diff Cover, 3:73 Gears etc. With the money from the 8.8 I bought a Moser bolt in 9" Housing with Alloy Axels & Bearings for $1200Canadian. Another $700.00Canadian got me a Auburn Unit and Ring & Pinion. I was pretty much set. It may have cost me an extra $750.00Canadian by the time I was finished but it was well worth it. Infact to beef up an 8.8 it would have cost me well over $700.00 and I still woudn't have had as good a rear end, so it basically made no sence to beef up the 8.8. Keep in mind the 9" will have 5 Bolt Axels. You will need to purchase 5 Bolt Rims if you dont already have some, so that will be more money as well. As for brakes I pulled a drum brake setup off an old Ford Car, threw new shoes and springs in her and it worked fine. Anyway the 8.8 is an alright rearend but a stock one is limited. I find they can be dangerous if you don't have C-Clip Eliminators cause if you blow an axle going down the track you can say bye bye to your car and maybe yourself. They can be expensive to beef up if you really want to do it right such as 9" Bearing Ends, Axels, Cover, Ring & Pinion, Diff, etc. I also find that C Clip eliminators suck on the street since they tend to leak alot. Anyhow it's your call. Some people get lucky with stock components and big HP while other's just blow up a bunch of stuff. Keep in mind the more times you blow up a tranny or rear the more it's going to cost you. Do it Right the First time man.
Sorry about the Canadian Prices. Obviously your prices will be way cheaper cause of the exchange rate.

Are you serious? The tranny will definitely be unhappy; will not live for long behind 500 HP. As far as the stock rear, those stock axles are just an accident waiting to happen with that kind of power/torque. You will also want to look at some chassis strengthening/torque box reinforcements.

The one I purchased from Moser bolted in with no problem's at all. I was quite impressed. What you get is the bolt in housing with your choice of axels with the bearing's pressed on. Keep in mind you still have to buy some sort of locker, spool or posi, ring & pinion, Case, brake setup, and bearing's and seals. Apparently you are on a tight budget, so for the diff case you can pretty much use any 9" case out of an old car or truck, and they will hold up jand fit just fine. You can usually find one pretty cheap anywhere. I managed to dig up a nodular one cheap. Brakes are fairly straight forward and cheap and once again can be used off an old Ford Car without any install problems. If you have a little extra cash, Ford Racing sell's a Rear Disc 5 Bolt kit that will bolt right up at a decent price. Yes it will cost you some money but chances are the 9" will last forever without having to tear it apart even with some mean slicks on the car. It's nice knowing when your in the drivers seat that you have a good rear end backing you up all the way. And remember it's not hard to sell an 8.8 and you should be able to get good money for it,and having the 3:73 gears in it will help you sell it even faster and at a good price.

NKau said:
Are you serious? The tranny will definitely be unhappy; will not live for long behind 500 HP. As far as the stock rear, those stock axles are just an accident waiting to happen with that kind of power/torque. You will also want to look at some chassis strengthening/torque box reinforcements.
LOL,,easy big fella,,it was an honest question.Yeah I planned on getting some frame connectors,and some u & L control arms.man,,this is starting to add up.How about 400HP,and 400lbs. of torque, can I keep the tranny and rear??

Nkau is right as well. You better have some good subframe connectors in that car, or your asking for trouble. Beefed up suspension is also a must. Welded up torque boxes is cheap insurance. 6-8 Point roll cage is nice to have but not a must. Better have a good cooling system as well or you will be having big problems. 500HP is alot of power, and you just cant take a motor like that and throw it in a Stang that is not built to handle the power. (Your asking for bad things to happen man) Infact beefing up your car to handle all that power will cost you more money than the motor itself. Don't learn the hard way man. Spend some money and get the power to the ground without breaking stuff.
You can have 2000HP but it will do you no good if you cant get it to the ground or if you keep breaking drivetrain parts.

willys1 said:
LOL,,easy big fella,,it was an honest question.Yeah I planned on getting some frame connectors,and some u & L control arms.man,,this is starting to add up.How about 400HP,and 400lbs. of torque, can I keep the tranny and rear??

Wasn't trying to be a prick, just letting you know what you're up against. I see that I definitely came across that way though :bang: 400 HP/ftlbs. of torque is still too much for stock tranny and rear. If you want to keep the AOD, look into a built one. Lentech I think sells some good ones? Also, I would think you could get away with just beefing up the 8.8; definitely won't be indestructible like a 9", but with good axles/carrier/c-clip eliminators, I would bet that you'd never have a problem. Not sure on the cost, but I have to believe it will still be quite a bit cheaper than a 9".

There is no way that the AOD will last long with that much power I would bet a lot of money on it man. it's that simple. Better put a tranny in your budget cause your going to need one before you know it with that motor in it. Keep in mine beefing up that 8.8 will probably cost you just about as much as a 9". Keep in mind If you buy 31 Spline axels for that 8.8 your going to have to buy a different posi. C-Clip eliminators I feel are junk for the street. They leak like you woudn't believe. I would price out both a 9 and 8.8 and see what the difference is and go from there. Or you can chance it with the stock 8.8 and see what happens. But like I said before, with any type of slicks on it, she wont stand a chance in hell. You will end up breaking and axel and killing yourself.

NKau said:
Wasn't trying to be a prick, just letting you know what you're up against. I see that I definitely came across that way though :bang: 400 HP/ftlbs. of torque is still too much for stock tranny and rear. If you want to keep the AOD, look into a built one. Lentech I think sells some good ones? Also, I would think you could get away with just beefing up the 8.8; definitely won't be indestructible like a 9", but with good axles/carrier/c-clip eliminators, I would bet that you'd never have a problem. Not sure on the cost, but I have to believe it will still be quite a bit cheaper than a 9".
Na,,its cool,,I appreciate the good advice :nice: