Need Help I think I have a blown Head Gasket

91StangLX

Mar 26, 2004
What are some symptoms of a blown head gasket...

The only thing that my car is doing out of the normal is the raditaor cap is hissing a little when closed and there are bubbles in the over flow bottle. I took the radiator cap off and started the engine... First nothing happened and after a few minutes the radiator fluid started to overflow.

I have no water in my oil and my oil is not frothy like chocolate milk and smells like oil not coolant... There does not seem to be any oil in my radiator fluid either. I am not blowing any white smoke out of the tailpipes. Nothing is leaking... Just a little hesitation when accelerating and the hissing radiator cap and bubbles in the overflow tank.

• Sponsors (?)

No brown tinge to the over flow bottle and not water in the oil and no oil in the radiator. Does not seem to over heat.. Temp never gets above the 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge.

Settle the issue once and for all - buy or borrow a screw in type compression tester and check the compression. Then there will be no doubt.

With the engine warmed up, remove all spark plugs and prop the throttle wide open, crank the engine until it the gage reading stops increasing. On a cold engine, it will be hard to tell what's good & what's not. Some of the recent posts have numbers ranging from 140-170 psi. If the compression is low, squirt some oil in the cylinder and do it again – if it comes up, the rings are worn. There should be no more than 10% difference between cylinders. Use a blow down leak test (puts compressed air inside cylinders) on cylinders that have more than 10% difference.