What in gods green earth happend to my N/A 2.3?

Piranahbite

Jan 21, 2022
American canyon
Hey folks, some of you know me from the 2.3 more power needed form i made were i ended up turbo 2.3 swapping my mustang. Hasent happend yet. im close, but got more work to do.

Meanwhile, my N/A 2.3 thats in my 87 mustang took a :poo: yesterday :(

I had an overheating issue caused by a hole in my radiator. the whole was about 4" from the top so i figured i can keep it full and drive short distances untill my new rad came in. as soon as i put in my new radiator, the car started missfiring on startup, but would go away after i run through the gears once or twice, nothing hard.

Yesterday I was on my way home from the bank with my mom and i took off from a stop light, and i lost all power and the car felt like it was running on one cylinder. i limped it home and started diegnosing the issue. first thing i did was check for spark, (girlfreind checked with her finger, got a 3 good zaps haha) had spark in all four plugs, and decided to check the distributor points and rotor, points looked yucky but i got them replaced.

Crank and cam timing was still perfect, i didnt jump timing and i static timed the distributor, put cam and crank at TDC and turned the distributor till cylinder 1 sparked, then locked it down a hair past that. Once i did that the engine started again, but still sounded like it was running on one cylinder.

today i followed this up with a compression test, all four cylinders had less than 10 psi, so little the guage couldnt read it. i put my finger over the tester hose without the guage to varrify there was somthing actualy moving, and there was little to no air moving. but pistons were definetly moving. you reading this can probly blow harder than the air coming out of the tester hole. so somthing is definetly wrong.

i pulled the valve cover to see if there was anything missing, rocker fallen or valve missing, nothing, looks beautiful.

i feel like i have a blown head gasket. why? im not getting any smoke. well. my coolant smelt like oil when i had that radiator leak, and i have an oil leak between the head and the block. i feel the blown portion is in between cylinders 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, there leaking into eachother, not out into the engine bay. plausable?

if not a head gasket, it can only be two other things. i have bent/broken one or two valves in each cylinder, or i blew my piston rings in all four cylinders.

that do you guys think?

im willing to throw a fel pro head gasket set at this engine, and if that dosent fix it, im going to pull it and pre maturely drop in my turbo 2.3, and swap over evreything that needs to be swapped. if the head gasket dosent work, its $500 in machining and rings and valves to get the engine running, and $500 to get the turbo 2.3 running thats goin in anyway.

what do you guys think? how can i fix this? or is this that 1 in 100 fault that nobodys seen before?

• Sponsors (?)

Endoscoped my cylinders... i feel like its safe to say i have at the minumum, a leaking gasket, leaking in the circled areas:
May be an image of light switch and water heater

proof? notice the abundance of suit building up were the head meets the block. occures in highlighted areas in pictue above i feel air is leaking into neighboring cylinders. also. this is on cylinders 4 and 3. cylinders 1 and 2 are much more clean, little to no carbon build up but also seem to have suit build up in same spots

IMG00017.jpg
IMG00020.jpg
No photo description available.

plugs for cylinders 4 3 2 1

It's a sign, the time has come. Yank that pig and toss it in the dumpster! Put your time, money and effort into the turbo motor. You probably thought you were gonna swap motors and have the car on the road in a weekend. Reality check......it doesn't work that way! Take your time, pull the N/A and drop in the turbo motor. Do it right and concentrate on getting it running. Once it's running, it'll be on the road then you can concentrate on troubleshooting all the little things that'll pop up......and believe me, they will! I've followed you for awhile. You can do this!

Reactions: 2 users
It's a sign, the time has come. Yank that pig and toss it in the dumpster! Put your time, money and effort into the turbo motor. You probably thought you were gonna swap motors and have the car on the road in a weekend. Reality check......it doesn't work that way! Take your time, pull the N/A and drop in the turbo motor. Do it right and concentrate on getting it running. Once it's running, it'll be on the road then you can concentrate on troubleshooting all the little things that'll pop up......and believe me, they will! I've followed you for awhile. You can do this!
thats what im thinking! i have spring break in two weeks, and ill accumulate my final parts in the time from now till then, and spend a week yankin the old one out and droppin the new one in. and whatever fine tuning needs to be done. figure its 500 to fix this motor and 400 to get the new one running