Need help interpreting 8.8 gear pattern

Hey, I'm back again. :rolleyes: I need some opinions about the gear pattern on my rear axle. I just put them in yesterday. I'll post the image in my next post, but here are the specs:
OE Ford gears, not FRPP (3.73:1)

pinion shim - .029"
pinion preload - 26-27 in lbs
D/S carrier shim - .265" original shim
P/S carrier shim - .260" shim pack
orig. P/S shim - .270"
ring gear backlash - .010-.011"

• Sponsors (?)

clean it all off and start over this time use just A LITTLE VERY LITTLE compound.......and it should show you better results and spin it over ALOT before you take the pics .........then post it back on here ........cant really tell anything from those pics .......

2002BLGT said:
clean it all off and start over this time use just A LITTLE VERY LITTLE compound.......and it should show you better results and spin it over ALOT before you take the pics .........then post it back on here ........cant really tell anything from those pics .......
Yeah, I sort of thought I messed that up.

well from what I can see of the shaded (darker) areas of the pics , it looks pretty good .... from your carrier shim measurements ...
D/S carrier shim - .265" original shim
P/S carrier shim - .260" shim pack
orig. P/S shim - .270"

its looks like you have less shims than where originally in it from the get go ....you might wanna double check on that I thought if you pulled X amount of shim out , the 2 numbers had to add back up to the same amount ....seems like your carrier would be able to walk back and forth slightly if you didnt do this especially if you used the same carrier that was in the car originally ??? but I guess if its in good and tight then thats all that matters ,maybe someone else can chime in here ?

2002BLGT said:
I thought if you pulled X amount of shim out , the 2 numbers had to add back up to the same amount ....seems like your carrier would be able to walk back and forth slightly if you didnt do this especially if you used the same carrier that was in the car originally???

It's not the original carrier, it's a new 28 spline FRPP Trac-Loc unit. Sometime in the past, the D/S bearing cup and shim had spun at one time. It didn't really damage the surface of the shim, housing, or bearing cap, they were just blemished a little bit. It probably spun less than one revolution. Maybe a dumped clutch or neutral drop, I don't know.

I did have to tap in everything with a mallet when I put it together. It seems like it's tight enough. Maybe it had too much preload before, and that's why it spun. But it looked like it was all original inside. Hmm

BTW, this is my first rear end build. I got lucky though, cuz it's not in a car. I bought it for $25 and had to drive to Virginia to get it.

Will the Ford vs. FRPP gears make a difference? I think the part number was 1L5Z-etc. meaning they are probably the latest part number.