need help with rods, pistons and nitrous.

MaroonMustangGT

Apr 25, 2005
i have a 2003 GT 5-speed. i want to add forged pistons and rods, i found a nice setup on e-bay for a decent price, i however don't know which bore to choose. do i need to go standard or .020" or .030"? my plan is to run a 200 shot of nitrous. the pistons are dished. are dished pistons good for nitrous?

also, will the stock GT crank handle a 200 shot?

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

To run that big of a shot you will need either an aluminum intake ported nitrous setup or both if youre running wet and some sort of fuel upgrade either better pump or maybe a Kenne Bell Boost a Pump.

If youre running dry you will need bigger injectors along with the pump upgrades but you could probably get by with the stock intake.

Either way thats a pretty big shot. Good luck! :hail2:

well if your not boring you block you need standard pistions.

I would not drop compression. with NOS the power is not always there. so droping you compression is going to cost you power 95% of the time. if you need to prevent detonation for a big hp shot at the track it is nicer to just add octane than cost yourself power all the time by dropping the compression.

200hp shot will require fuel system upgrade of some kind and intake upgrade.

I have never run more than 150 shot and that was not on a car with a plastic intake.

The stock crank can easily handle 500hp...I think i know the sets your looking at on ebay :) You can't use a .020 or .030 over piston unless your block is machined to fit them. Stock bore is fine as long as your block doesn't need to be cleaned up.
I would Suggest giving MMR (mod mustang racing) a look...they have some pretty cheap piston/rod combos and can set you up with a piston/ring set better suited for nitrous.
Also don't forget to upgrade your fuel system. What nitrous kit are you useing or buying? For a 200 shot i'd go with the Nozzle kit that bypasses the plastic intake.
http://www.partshopper.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=257&catid=

hognutz said:
well if your not boring you block you need standard pistions.

I would not drop compression. with NOS the power is not always there. so droping you compression is going to cost you power 95% of the time. if you need to prevent detonation for a big hp shot at the track it is nicer to just add octane than cost yourself power all the time by dropping the compression.

200hp shot will require fuel system upgrade of some kind and intake upgrade.

I have never run more than 150 shot and that was not on a car with a plastic intake.

I agree about not droping compression.

I'd be weary of buying forged rods and pistons separately on Ebay. It's not that they aren't quality pieces, but when you buy components separately, they're not balanced to one and other and that's something that is a must with a modular engine, since they're not externally balanced like an OHV.

Look at buying rods and pistons that have been pre-balanced and match the rods they’re going to be mated to. It may cost you a little more than going the Ebay route, but at least you'll know that you're not going to be pissing blindly into the wind when picking parts. Not to mention, I don't like the idea of Ebay return policies. It's much easier to send something back or for exchange from a reputable company/shop, than it is to an internet based company that’s merely turning over parts and is run out of some guy’s basement.

I got all my stuff here and they were top notch to deal with. www.modularperformance.com

I would stay away from dished pistons for a nitrous motor. Nitrous loves compression and that's you lose when you go dished. You also never know what condition your block is in so you may need bigger bore pistons than .020's. I know this from experience, see my sig :( . I had to spend more cash on .030's because my block needed to be bored larger than the specs of the .020's I bought. My block had been rebuilt by Ford under warruntee once before without my knowledge also, that sure didn't help matters. Phone a reputable company like VT, MPH, MMR, SHM, and see what they have to offer. More knowledge is better than less.