Need help with SCT XCAL2

ra3773

Aug 9, 2009
Hey guys I have a question. I need to re-load my sct xcal2 on my '97 gt (the battery died). I don't know which 2 fuses i need to pull before loading. Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Pulling the fuses was only mandatory on the 96...something about the memory in the computer. I tried it without pulling the fuses once and the car acted like a real Mustang...bucking and kicking.

Pulling the fuses was a 'safety' procedure SCT wanted in the X2 users manual - at least that's what they told me when I wrote it for them - because if the battery voltage happened to fall below a certain level, it would mess us the PCM which would entail a tow to the dealers for a reflash back to stock and this could happen on ANY year (96 and up). SCT rightly so, did not want this liability. Pulling those fuses kept the load of the fans and FP out of the loop and made it much more unlikely the PCM might die. Myself, I have never done this - too much trouble, instead, when we always threw a battery charger on the battery during a flash.

Pulling the fuses was a 'safety' procedure SCT wanted in the X2 users manual - at least that's what they told me when I wrote it for them - because if the battery voltage happened to fall below a certain level, it would mess us the PCM which would entail a tow to the dealers for a reflash back to stock and this could happen on ANY year (96 and up). SCT rightly so, did not want this liability. Pulling those fuses kept the load of the fans and FP out of the loop and made it much more unlikely the PCM might die. Myself, I have never done this - too much trouble, instead, when we always threw a battery charger on the battery during a flash.

Very good info. Thank you so much.

1999-2004
Fuel pump fuse: BJB F1.14(20a).
Radiator fan fuse:4.6l BJB F1.1(50a). 3.8l BJB F1.1(30a).

BJB=battery junction box
CJB=central junction box.

1998 and earlier
Fuel pump 20 amp in the engine compartment.
Fan 60 amp in the engine compartment.