• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Need help with water pump selection

  • Thread starter Thread starter 02 281 GT
  • Start date Start date Feb 21, 2010

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
3,208
1,973
194
Cabot, AR
Feb 21, 2010
#1
  • Feb 21, 2010
  • #1
Okay, here's the deal. I want to get this March pulley kit for my Cobra. The only problem is that it will require a standard rotation water pump. Now, because I don't pay attention, I'm not sure of the direction in which the stock water pump on my car spins. I'd start it up and look, but it's at the body shop right now getting painted.

Basically, since the pulley/bracket kit I mention above has a standard rotation water pump pulley rather than reverse, I'll need a water pump the rotation of which is reverse of whatever the direction of the stock pump. Follow?

I just need to know whether the stock water pump rotation is clockwise or counter clockwise. With this pulley kit I'll need whatever is the OPPOSITE of the stock Cobra water pump rotation.

Sorry if that's a little too wordy. Thanks for the help.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Feb 21, 2010
#2
  • Feb 21, 2010
  • #2
You want to run a V-belt setup on your Mustang??? That's kind of retarded, but ok. Our cars have non standard rotation. Basically any car with a serpentine belt is non standard, and anything with a V-belt is standard rotation. Just look for a water pump for an old Mustang, like 83' and older. If it's a V-belt engine, then it will be a standard rotation. You will also need to get a timing cover for an older Mustang too. The timing cover you have now, won't work.

Kurt
 

Bosko5.0

Active Member
May 18, 2006
1,067
0
37
longwood, FL
Feb 22, 2010
#3
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #3
Is there any particular reason you want that kit 586 for a pulleys seems a bit steep.
 

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
3,208
1,973
194
Cabot, AR
Feb 22, 2010
#4
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #4
I don't know if you clicked the link or not, but that kit is a serpentine kit. It just happens to have standard rotation on the water pump.

And the kit is machined billet powdercoated aluminum with brackets. The main reason I want to go with that kit is because I'm not really using half of the stock brackets anyway since I have no smog pump and will soon have no A/C as well. I also like how the kit moves the accessories much lower and out of the way.
 

earleys94gt

Active Member
Aug 31, 2003
1,223
16
49
Ashley, Ohio
Feb 22, 2010
#5
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #5
Not sure of the rotation, but Stewart makes really good pumps.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Feb 22, 2010
#6
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #6
Yeah, I looked closer, and I guess I missed the serpentine belts the first time. Either way, you are going to have to swap to an older fox style water pump.

Kurt
 

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
3,208
1,973
194
Cabot, AR
Feb 22, 2010
#7
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #7
Yeah. I was looking at the differences between the '94-'95 pumps and the fox pumps. The power steering bracket in that kit wouldn't bolt up to the '94-'95 water pump.

Thanks for the help, guys.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Feb 22, 2010
#8
  • Feb 22, 2010
  • #8
Keep in mind, the fox water pump is going to make your engine 3" longer. It should fit without any serious issues though.

Kurt
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Engine Belt routing with supercharger and smog/ac/ps delete
  • Steve6482
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
96
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 15, 2026
Steve6482
S
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
B
'03 GT Fuel Pump/Pressure/Delivery Issue
  • Brodach
  • Oct 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
1K
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
gkomo
C
Engine Do I have a standard or reverse rotation pump?
  • Cobraii1976
  • Apr 27, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 28, 2024
General karthief
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
884
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?