Need Info On What Crankshaft To Get

Treachery

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
The engine block in my 93 GT has broke. I had great performance out of it throughout the 22 years of its life.

I recently aquired a Dart Ford Block 31364175. I am going to have the internals carried over. My mechanic is recommending replacing crankshaft as well. I tend to agree with him.

What is a good crankshaft for this block which will be machined to a 306. I don't want to break the bank but at the same time, i don't want it to break anytime soon. I want to stay under $500. I suppose that i would want a stock-type crank for compatibility sake. What options do i have? Most of the internals will carried over to this new block.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

So... You're throwing stock internals into a Dart block? Why??? Either throw a good assembly into the Dart or just get another stock block. What's the entire combonation I.e is this a forced induction setup? Stock crank is good to well over 500 hp. As far as an aftermarket crankshaft goes you could look into a scat cast crank for that price range. Personally with that block I'd go all forged internals in a stroker combo like a 363/347. If you have a ford block just run the stock crank it it checks out ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not put stock internals in a dart block. Not saying you can't, it's just a waist. When I had to do a rebuild of my higher mileage engine four years ago, I found that a stroker is only a few hundred more dollars than a 306. Now, putting a forged crank in there, which I would do with a dart block, will add a few hundred more. If you do go cast crank, the scat 9000 is a decent crank for the money.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry guys. I failed to mention that my list of mods are in my signature.
In case it does not show:

93 Mustang GT: 306-Bored engine block (now broke), DSS Forged Pistons, TFS Stage II CNC Ported heads, 1:6 Roller Rockers, Stage II Cam, Vortech SQ trim 12lb boost, Vortech Intake Manifold, Accufab 75mm TB, 90mm SCT MAF, Anderson PowerPipe, Crane Hi-6 ignition, MSD distributor, MAC H-pipe (no cats), JBA 1 5/8" titanium coated shortie headers, 60lb Injectors,, Aeromotive 340 lph fuel pump, 3/8" fuel lines, RRC fuel lines, T-Rex Fuel Pump (came with Vortech Kit), SCT Chip. AEM methanol kit.

I would never... ever put stock part in a Dart block. That's like building the Empire State Building with toothpick internals! lol

edit: I think I found what i'm looking for- Scat 43021 - Scat 4340 Forged Standard Weight Crankshaft.

Opinions? Advise?

Last edited:
I talked to a couple of professional engine builders recently about crankshafts and other things in general. The scat crank isn't a bad piece. Some people will bad mouth them but really they may need a little extra time/metal in balancing but are a quality piece. Good luck on your build.