Need New Intake Manifold For 01 Mustang Gt

lttoler

Oct 3, 2013
I have an 01 Mustang GT and the manifold has cracked and leaking antifreeze so I am needing a replacement. I don't really like the idea of putting another plastic manifold back on it but I was wanting to get some opinions and suggestions before I bought a replacement. The one I have been looking at is a Ford Racing all metal manifold at around $225 but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the stock engine components. The car has around 100,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not familiar with an "all metal" Ford Racing unit, unless you're talking about their earlier FRPP "Bullitt" style intake? In which case, they were designed for the '96-'98 cars and nowhere near a direct bolt on. To be honest, they weren't really worth any significant power gain either.

I'd just replace it with another EO Ford plastic intake with the aluminum crossover and be done with it. Nothing to be gained by performing an aftermarket intake swap on a stock 2V.

I'd have to disagree with ya there Gearbanger101. An aftermarket intake manifold will give you some gains. I'd say get a Professional Products manifold along with the upper plenum and a TB. Get satin. You can get the 3 as a combo on Ebay for like a little over $400 from what I remember. Or just replace it with a stock intake that has an aluminum crossover. They are all over Ebay and Craigslist. Usually like $100.

I'd have to disagree with ya there Gearbanger101. An aftermarket intake manifold will give you some gains. I'd say get a Professional Products manifold along with the upper plenum and a TB. Get satin. You can get the 3 as a combo on Ebay for like a little over $400 from what I remember. Or just replace it with a stock intake that has an aluminum crossover. They are all over Ebay and Craigslist. Usually like $100.

Gains to what extent though? An increase of 4-5 peak horsepower on a stock car isn't what I'd consider a worthy investment. The problem with the aftermarket offerings, is that none of them start making power until the higher regions of the power band....at which point the stock cams sign off too early to take advantage of it. Do a google search, many guys have installed the PP manifold with less than stellar results. And what you gain in horsepower, you lose in low end torque (where these cars really seem to need it the most). That's a lot of scratch for horsepower you're never going to feel. Might as well just buy a set of under drive pulleys for gains like that and save yourself $300

Take into account independent dyno testing done my AFM

http://www.performanceinjection.com/files/piProduct/DynoTest-54060.pdf

The car made 20hp/16lbs ft more than stock with the PP manifold, inlet and 70mm throttle body, but most of the gains were accredited to cams previously installed.

That's over $1,500 worth of parts and labour for only 20hp. I don't know about you, but that would kinda sting me a little? That's more than 1/3 of the way to the cost of a supercharger, for only 1/6 of the gains. :(

Gains to what extent though? An increase of 4-5 peak horsepower on a stock car isn't what I'd consider a worthy investment. The problem with the aftermarket offerings, is that none of the aftermarket intake manifolds start making power until the higher regions of the power band and the stock cams sign off too early to take advantage of it. Do a google search, many guys have installed the PP manifold with less than stellar results. And what you gain in horsepower, you lose in low end torque (where these cars really seem to need it the most). That's a lot of scratch for horsepower you're never going to feel. Might as well just buy a set of under drive pulleys for gains like that and save yourself $300

Take into account independent dyno testing done my AFM

http://www.performanceinjection.com/files/piProduct/DynoTest-54060.pdf

The car made 20hp/16lbs ft more than stock with the PP manifold, inlet and 70mm throttle body, but most of the gains were accredited to cams previously installed.

That's over $1,500 worth of parts and labour for only 20hp. I don't know about you, but that would kinda sting me a little? That's more than 1/3 of the way to the cost of a supercharger, for only 1/6 of the gains. :(

I agree, for the money the stock intake is the best bet. Couldn't have said it better myself. Save the money for a power adder and build off that.

Gearbanger is correct, all aftermarket "metal" PI intakes are a waste of money. In fact, ANY aftermarket intake on an N/A 2V is a waste. Just get the stock FRPP plastic intake and be done with it

To each their own. But cams and intake do make large gains. That peak hp, that is where you spend most of your time when racing. Sure you need low end hp to take off, but the vast majority of the race is spent at WOT. And that is where it shines. Especially during a roll-on. And cams are well worth the investment. It isn't all forced induction or bust with the 2V engines. Sure they aren't brutes, but they have a lot of potential. Throw a stage 1 cam with a PP intake manifold, upper plenum, and 75mm TB and it'll be a night and day difference.

Modified Mustangs and Fast Fords had a write up on the Typhoon Intake.

Ford Mustang GT Aluminum Intake Manifold For 4.6 Liter Two-Valve - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

The intake may be cheaper by now, but $550 and it only produced an additional 5 hp on a cammed, ported and built DSS shortblock 4.6. For that kind of money, one could perform a cobra head and intake swap!

Not sure if you looking into it or not, but your local Ford dealership may be able to perform the intake recall for you at a charge. This may or may not be cheaper than buying the intake outright, but it would take all the guess work out it and give you a fall back if it happened again.

Even if the only gains are in combination with other mods, how many of us DON'T do extra mods down the road? In other words, why put a stock one on with the thought that the Typhoon does nothing stock, just to further modify it later on down the road to the point where it would have made a difference (according to you guys)? And just curious, who else besides me actually used one? I've gone back and forth between the Typhoon and the stock intake several times with one day back a few years ago. I does make a difference, at least it did for me. I mean, if anyone is not sure on it or think it is a waste, then save your money and get the stock one and be satisfied with that. Either way the main problem will be fixed and you'll be able to drive your car again. But I'd also say to save even more money and get one used off of Ebay or Craigslist instead of buying a new one.

LOL, here is my 03 GT with the Typhoon and supercharger!! Pretty sweet lookin!!

Attachments

• 20141013_153849.jpg
    20141013_153849.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 938
Reactions: 1 user
Even if the only gains are in combination with other mods, how many of us DON'T do extra mods down the road? In other words, why put a stock one on with the thought that the Typhoon does nothing stock, just to further modify it later on down the road to the point where it would have made a difference (according to you guys)? And just curious, who else besides me actually used one? I've gone back and forth between the Typhoon and the stock intake several times with one day back a few years ago. I does make a difference, at least it did for me. I mean, if anyone is not sure on it or think it is a waste, then save your money and get the stock one and be satisfied with that. Either way the main problem will be fixed and you'll be able to drive your car again. But I'd also say to save even more money and get one used off of Ebay or Craigslist instead of buying a new one.

You really need full bolt ons, cams and/or forced induction to realize a benefit from this intake. Every dyno test has shown that they don't start coming on until up over the 5,000RPM range. So I've got to ask....when the stock cams sign off at around 5,800RPM, where's the big benefit? I'll bet less than 5% of owners. actually make it to the full bolt ons, cams and/or blower stage to justify the expense. How is dropping $900+ dollars (I looked high and low on Ebay, couldn't find them priced anywhere close to $400) on an intake and throttle body combo to make 4-5hp worth while for the other 95% of owners out there though?

LOL, here is my 03 GT with the Typhoon and supercharger!! Pretty sweet lookin!!

You say you went back and forth between the stock and the Typhoon....was that before, or after the blower? Since you're recommending it to everyone, I've got to believe you ran just this intake alone and saw worthwhile gains for the money....so what were they? I'll be whatever they were, they were placebo. The SOTP meter lies....the dyno doesn't.

It isn't all forced induction or bust with the 2V engines.

Hard to sell that line when you yourself have got a Vortech sitting under your hood. Welcome to the 5% club. :D

Gearbanger101, I mis-wrote. Sorry. You can get the sating typhoon intake manifold for about $450 - $480 with free shipping. The upper plenums go from $80-$100...those don't have to be PP tho, you can get the cheaper aftermarket plenums like the one made by that company Dragon. And a 75mm TB is around $100. So for the combo in satin, you'd be spending about $650-$700 depending on where and how good you shop around.

Regardless of how far all of our cars make it, we still all get started. The fact is that OP's intake manifold broke. So he might as well go ahead and get an aftermarket one and get that part of the build out of the way. The intake manifold has to come off. Why replace it with stock just to decide that later on he wants an aftermarket one. It is a waste of time and money.

When I went back and forth, it was when my car was NA. I was diagnosing some problems and it turned out to be my Accel coils...which ended up in the dumpster. But once it was all figured out and I had the stockers on, I still had the stock intake manifold on. And although this isn't a legit test, a friend and myself did several roll-ons, me against him. With the stock intake manifold, he was slightly pulling on me. Once I put the Typhoon on, it had reversed and I was pulling on him. Mind you, this was in the same day with no changes other than my intake manifold, upper plenum, and TB. Even the cai and tune was the same. Like I said, it isn't a legit test and I consider it to be unofficial but those were my results nonetheless.

And yes my 03 GT has a blower on it. My 02 GT does not. But that does not invalidate what I'm saying. I put the blower on because I wanted it to be fastER. These days 400 to the wheels is entry level for playing around on the streets. And the only way to get that without spending an arm and a leg on older cars whether it is a 2V 4.6 or a 350 LS1 is with forced induction. But these days everyone needs forced induction. And even tho my 03 GT has a blower and my 2010 Camaro SS runs 12s, my 02 GT still has some good pickup. It is fun and pretty quick and sounds really good.

Like I said before, if he doesn't wanna spend the money for it then that is his choice. But the fact is that we all have aspirations for higher hp. Everytime a fuel pump goes our advice to the person is to go ahead and upgrade it now. So likewise, the intake manifold broke, go ahead and upgrade it now. Even if it has no benefit for him now, at 8-10 psi that intake manifold may be the difference between 360 hp and 400 hp.

Hey guys, I dunno if anyone else has mentioned this or knows about it. This company is called " SpeedMaster " they are based outta Bakersfield,Cali.. They offer for 99-04 4.6's a Aluminum Satin EFI Qualifier Intake Manifold for between like $220-$260ish.. I'm sure you can look them up and contact them to get specifics about it. I am including one of their expired web ads Ford 4 6L EFI 1999 04 Mustang Qualifier Intake Manifold Satin | eBay

Hopefully that helps. Says it performs fine on a stock car but will yield performance benefits if the car is modded with a set of cams or something along those lines. Good luck and keep me updated buddy. Cheers :)

P.S... I want someone to pick up this Speed Master Satin Aluminum Qualifier Intake because i am really interested in how it performs and plus at the cost point it's nothing!.. If none of you guys here try it. I guess i'll be the guinny pig here in couple months lol ha ha. I have had a couple buddies who have dropped the dough on the Professional Products Satin Typhoon $450-$480 and i just don't see how it's anywhere worth that as my buddies ( both cars modded ported heads, customer grind cams, full x-haust, all the rest of basic boltons, etc ) that had it said it was junk and noticed nothing whatsoever from it!..

Last edited:
Here's a direct link to the intake manifold Ford 4.6L EFI 1999-04 Mustang Qualifier Intake Manifold Satin .. My buddy had talked to them about week or two ago and said dude he was chatting with was really cool and knowledgeable. Here is their phone # 's
[email protected]
909 605 1123 [email protected]79.com
02 9607 2299.. They are in Rialto,Ca about an hr n half/two hrs max from me so if any of you guys had any trouble with them i would gladly make a little side stop next time i'm headed down that way for work lol. Give em a call and either way whatever happened lemme know as i said previous post a mine. Been super busy will be back couple times a week atleast after this QUARTER FROM HELL PASSES!! lol. Take care off to bed :) n Cheers!

FYI..Before i forget if you decide to go back to the stock style black plastic one with the " updated " aluminum or metal crossover i can guarantee you that you'll be right back in this spot as the Dorman, Cardone and ATP, etc are JUNK CRAP!!.. I've been through too many of the stock " updated " ones.. if ya can bro upgrade especially if you like your car and take care of it. Aftermarket " OEM " is no bueno!
Cheers forthe last time lol.

Hey guys, I dunno if anyone else has mentioned this or knows about it. This company is called " SpeedMaster " they are based outta Bakersfield,Cali.. They offer for 99-04 4.6's a Aluminum Satin EFI Qualifier Intake Manifold for between like $220-$260ish.. I'm sure you can look them up and contact them to get specifics about it. I am including one of their expired web ads Ford 4 6L EFI 1999 04 Mustang Qualifier Intake Manifold Satin | eBay

Hopefully that helps. Says it performs fine on a stock car but will yield performance benefits if the car is modded with a set of cams or something along those lines. Good luck and keep me updated buddy. Cheers :)

P.S... I want someone to pick up this Speed Master Satin Aluminum Qualifier Intake because i am really interested in how it performs and plus at the cost point it's nothing!.. If none of you guys here try it. I guess i'll be the guinny pig here in couple months lol ha ha. I have had a couple buddies who have dropped the dough on the Professional Products Satin Typhoon $450-$480 and i just don't see how it's anywhere worth that as my buddies ( both cars modded ported heads, customer grind cams, full x-haust, all the rest of basic boltons, etc ) that had it said it was junk and noticed nothing whatsoever from it!..

That looks like a copy of the design. I would not mind giving it a try. Either that one or the Edelbrock. In a few weeks I'm gonna give it a try and I'll let you guys know. I wanna hit the track with the car the way it is now and then see if I get any results with a tune. After that I'll try the intake manifold and take it to the track again. Maybe next week depending on whether or not I get this 97 Lincoln Mark VIII.

Hey Threewon, ya it looks like a knock off of the Typhoon for the most part might also have some Victor Jr similarities as well. If no one here on stangnet or any of my buddies with 4.6 2v's. I think i will go ahead and bite the bullet and give it a shot. Ya know ya only live once and why not lol. But being serious i called the shop that sells that it and left a message. I would like to see for myself what kinda people are selling these and see if they really know what their talkig about and all that good stuff. If it all checks out sign me up i will be rockin the " Speedmaster Qualifier " aluminum satin intake manifold!! lol. I'm heading out let keep this thread " lively " and see what or should i say if anyone grabs one?.. Cheers :)

Speedmaster is the new name for Procomp...and we all remember what their products are like.

In other words, a cheap, Chinese knock off.....complete with piss poor fitment, miss-alignment, copious amounts of casting flash and sub par casting quality.

Take that for what it's worth. If it were me, I still stick with the orignial Ford Racing composite/aluminum hybrid manifold. Good quality, performance, proper fitment and the correct port size and shape.

One thing that isn't being taken into account with the aftermarket aluminum manifolds is heat soak. The all aluminum intakes get much....much hotter, while holding the heat in, when compared to the composite plastic ones. Their runner finish is also smooth as glass, where an aluminum one produces a rough casting, that is often accompanied by casting flash (especially knock off manifolds like the one above). This is why most modern manifolds are now plastic, rather than aluminum and perform better to boot.