Need non-pi intake w/ alum cross over!

Hi guys...I'm usually over in the 5.0 section, but this is a question on a fix for my g/f's car. She has a 97 GT and the intake cracked Friday night at the track (I knew nothing about that intake being a problem...I only ever read 5.0 stuff). Her build date is prior to the recall dates. I've already tore everything down and I'm ready to throw a new intake in, but I can't find any non-pi intakes with aluminum crossovers, and I don't want to put another plastic one in. Where do you find these things and how much are they?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys, I actually just bought one off ebay for 75 bucks shipped. It has the aluminum cross-over. Quick question on gaskets: I bought Felpros from Summit (PN FEL-MS957282). Are these correct for NPI heads/intake, or should I stick with Ford parts?

Thanks again,

Just curious....but why didn't you upgrade to the PI intake? :scratch: It will work just fine with a set of PI gaskets and a little Black RTV silicone around the ports and she also get's the benefit of an additional 25-30hp in the process.

I thought they were the same with the exception of different gaskets. Someone explain this please. How does a 'non PI' intake with the aluminum crossover differ from a "PI" intake with aluminum crossover? Just gaskets correct? I have been confused about this for a while now ..... :scratch:

DTNODYA said:
I thought they were the same with the exception of different gaskets. Someone explain this please. How does a 'non PI' intake with the aluminum crossover differ from a "PI" intake with aluminum crossover? Just gaskets correct? I have been confused about this for a while now ..... :scratch:

The PI is a better design. Most people get around 15rwhp with the PI intake.
You can also use the PI cams for more HP...:nice:

Heres a couple links to get you started.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=441107&highlight=intake

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=587156&highlight=intake

Search button is your friend, you can spend hours there....:nice:

Outlaw97GT said:
The PI is a better design. Most people get around 15rwhp with the PI intake.
You can also use the PI cams for more HP...:nice:

Heres a couple links to get you started.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=441107&highlight=intake

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=587156&highlight=intake

Search button is your friend, you can spend hours there....:nice:

None of that answers my question. Search function is rarely one's friend. :notnice:

I'll try again ... Is there such thing as a NON PI INTAKE with an aluminum crossover? Or are all intakes with the aluminum crossover PI INTAKES? I know that you have to use different gaskets with the heads blah blah .. I am wondering if there are specifically two different intakes made with aluminum crossovers or if it's one intake with different gaskets. :bang:

DTNODYA said:
None of that answers my question. Search function is rarely one's friend. :notnice:

I'll try again ... Is there such thing as a NON PI INTAKE with an aluminum crossover? Or are all intakes with the aluminum crossover PI INTAKES? I know that you have to use different gaskets with the heads blah blah .. I am wondering if there are specifically two different intakes made with aluminum crossovers or if it's one intake with different gaskets. :bang:
Yup, check ebay for "Ford intake manifolds" and a few should be listed. The aluminum crossover intakes are the replacement for the solid plastic ones after they cracked.

Edit: The only two intakes with the aluminum crossover that I'm aware of are the newer PI and the Ford replacement non-PI

DTNODYA said:

Yes the "New" NPI intakes have the aluminum cross-over. And they are NOT the same as the PI.

BTW the search works great for me, I have spent alot of time reading and learning there.
And I just picked 2 links out of 14 pages worth of "PI Intake" info...Sorry I picked the wrong links for you, maybe you should try it for yourself.:eek:

I have a non-PI intake with the aluminum runner (and two brand new lower gaskets still in the plastic. $22) that I will be putting up for sale. The couple I have seen on E-bay are going for at least $310 plus shipping, no gaskets but mine is two years old.

CanadaStang said:
Yup, check ebay for "Ford intake manifolds" and a few should be listed. The aluminum crossover intakes are the replacement for the solid plastic ones after they cracked.

Edit: The only two intakes with the aluminum crossover that I'm aware of are the newer PI and the Ford replacement non-PI

Well, an aftermarket company makes them also. We installed a Non-PI aluminum crossover intake on a buddies car recently- sold by a company called Dorman OE. Oreilly and Autozone sell them. Intake also came with gaskets built into the manifold, so that was one less expense. Pretty good deal considering it was $220 vs $490 or whatever it was the Ford stealership wanted for the aluminum crossover non-pi "kit" with the the gaskets included (gaskets are worth $50).

Outlaw97GT said:
Yes the "New" NPI intakes have the aluminum cross-over. And they are NOT the same as the PI.

BTW the search works great for me, I have spent alot of time reading and learning there.
And I just picked 2 links out of 14 pages worth of "PI Intake" info...Sorry I picked the wrong links for you, maybe you should try it for yourself.:eek:

I've used the search button plenty too ... Just bustin' ya chops. :p

Thx for clarifying ... it gives me a headache to read tons of threads to try and find out something so specific. crapola <-- rarely see it used.

sjrtx said:
Well, an aftermarket company makes them also. We installed a Non-PI aluminum crossover intake on a buddies car recently- sold by a company called Dorman OE. Oreilly and Autozone sell them. Intake also came with gaskets built into the manifold, so that was one less expense. Pretty good deal considering it was $220 vs $490 or whatever it was the Ford stealership wanted for the aluminum crossover non-pi "kit" with the the gaskets included (gaskets are worth $50).

Good to know!! Thanks :nice:

non-PI / PI decision

My car is the subject of GT_Rich's post. Thanks everybody for your help. The reason I am going with the non-PI intake is because I am not ready to go to the PI heads, and retrofitting a PI intake onto non-PI heads on my daily driver scares me.

The idea of filling a gap in the gasket with RTV seems a bit janky. While I know a lot of people have had good results with this setup, I'd be curious to know if anyone has had any problems with this later. My car only has 30k on it, and I want it to last awhile. Plus, you have to re-route a coolant line and modify the alternator bracket, and I am in a time crunch for my car. I didn't see anything in older posts about what to do with the EGR valve, as it seems like there might not be enough clearance with the PI manifold on the non-PI heads. I know we have been going through a lot of old threads trying to get to the bottom of this mess, so if anyone else has similar problems, shoot us a message and maybe we can pass along some of the info we've found.

FYI: I guess sometime in 98 Ford started putting the non-PI intake with the aluminum crossover onto production cars as a result of the cracking issue. That's where the one we eBay'ed came from. We were warned by that guy that sometimes the aftermarket gaskets don't match up exactly to the Ford ones, so check them close.

Well, I am new here, so sorry if I have been long-winded or restated things already on the forum somewhere. Thanks again everybody!

V8 GIRL said:
My car is the subject of GT_Rich's post. Thanks everybody for your help. The reason I am going with the non-PI intake is because I am not ready to go to the PI heads, and retrofitting a PI intake onto non-PI heads on my daily driver scares me.

The idea of filling a gap in the gasket with RTV seems a bit janky. While I know a lot of people have had good results with this setup, I'd be curious to know if anyone has had any problems with this later. My car only has 30k on it, and I want it to last awhile. Plus, you have to re-route a coolant line and modify the alternator bracket, and I am in a time crunch for my car. I didn't see anything in older posts about what to do with the EGR valve, as it seems like there might not be enough clearance with the PI manifold on the non-PI heads. I know we have been going through a lot of old threads trying to get to the bottom of this mess, so if anyone else has similar problems, shoot us a message and maybe we can pass along some of the info we've found.
Take a trip over to www.tccoa.com (Thunderbird & Cougar Club of America) and probe a little more into it. There are literally dozens upon dozens of pre-PI owners there who've gone the PI intake route on the non-PI head route with 100% results. It's as common as adding under drive pulleys here. If it really makes you nervous, there are a couple of places on eBay that sell adapter plates to help with your swap. There's also a member here (Mr. Jones I think is screen name is) who makes them.

I realize you've already bought the NPI intake for now, but it's just something for you to think about for future use. It's the easiest and cheapest jump in horsepower you're going to make for your car and definitely worth doing. :nice: