Need some advice on a motor build please

95cobra svt

Oct 26, 2009
I just got some 210cc heads and i was wondering if making the stock 302 block work good with them is going to be to much work? I also have a 351 windsor block i know i can put them on im just curoius which one is gonna work better in the end and be more of a reliable build for me. If i use the 351 any ideas on what all i should do to the block and what internals would be best to use with the 210 head and also if boring or stroking is necessary how far should I stroke or bore it? thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forums. I see you were tempted by the ultra low price of the procomps. They are really hit or miss, some people say theyre great, other people have had nightmares. I think it ultimately depends on if you get the newer castings and if theyre preassembled or bare when you get them. I've heard from some reliable sources the bare castings need a little machining before assembly for a trouble free install. In any case, unless you're going forced induction or an all out race motor, I think the 210s are a tad big for a NA 302. Even their 190 cc castings are a bit big for a run of the mill 302. Youll get more responses and more informed responses if you give us a little more detail on what youre doing to the motor. Youre overall plan. For example if youre just throwing them on a stock 302, the factory TB and intake flow so little, the new heads wont make much of a difference. Might even lose some power down low. Ultimately, I think they'd probably be better utilized on a bigger cubic inch motor like the 351 or a forced induction setup. (or bigger).

And in terms of boring and stroking, for the 302, the most common apps would be a 331 or 347. For the 351, the most popular is the 408, though you can go up to a 427 which is bad ass, and going 393 is also another popular stroke. THese are just the most common, there's a lot of other ways to get different CI depending on what youre doing.

I got the pro comps for free off a friend so couldn't necessarily pass them up. I'm looking more towards using the 351 block I have due to the 210 being a little much for the 302. I have forged internals for the 351 and a gt40 upper and lower intake. Will the 210cc perform on the 351 with forged internals and intake cams etc or will I still have same problem? I'm going for around 450-500 NA motor just need some advice on best ways to do the build

I don't have too much experience with Pro Comps other than they don't work that great. 500 N/A is going to be a challenge with those heads. Unless you run a butt ton of compression.

I've heard of guys running a 351 block up to 454cid, but I don't recommend it. If you go over 408cid, an aftermarket block is recommended.

Kurt

As you can see here, you'll get a lot of different opinions. I was going to warn you that most people would have negative things to say about the procomps because there tends to be a lot of bad press about them on forums. Most people will generally agree however, that the older procomp castings were where most people were having the issues. Again, generally speaking. The new castings tend to receive much better praise and seem to have fewer issues. Also, like I stated, if you're buying a bare casting, I believe there is some work that needs to be done before assembly. If you're buying them preassembled, they shouldn't be bad... hopefully. Your best friend would be a google search on the heads. You'll find that it's pretty split down the middle. Some people dont like them solely because theyre not made in the USA and to them that makes it impossible for the heads to have any redeemable quality. A lot of people are passing on "well my friends uncles cousin twice removed used them and (insert negative comment here.)" The people who havent actually ran them on their own vehicle, you have to take what they say with a grain of salt (including my opinions). When I was researching them for a customer, I found most of the newer comments to be generally pretty positive from people that were actually running them and most of the heads were bought from reputable (to the buyer) speed shops who recommended them for the budget the buyer was on. That being said, I still feel a 210cc head is a bit much for a NA 302. But again, thats my opinion. Talk to some engine builders, your cam grinder etc, see what they have to say. Look for combos similar to what you want to acheive and see what they used. Me personally, I'd use them on a nice 351 build up or a turbo or supercharged 302.

No matter what motor you put them on the GT40 intake is going to hold you way back. Id say use the 351 with a good cam and intake
Agreed. I'd missed the part about the GT40 intake. If you got a good deal on the heads, I would put the extra money saved toward a good intake. You can sell the gt40 and recoup some of the money, the actual tubular gt40s that are no longer produced can usually fetch some good money. The explorer ones are dime a dozen but would likely still sell. Again, just opinions, but I think the GT40 would hold you back when youre trying to reach the numbers youre aiming for.

they are a little too much cyl head for a 302 , they should work well on a 351 as long as all the other parts make up a well balenced combo , like mentioned above the search feature is your best friend , pick out a nice cam and find another intake

port the lower on the gt40 and it'll be fine really. There a few guys locally running explorer and cobra intakes running mid 12s all day long and 11s with funny gas, they just get a bad rap cause they're an old design. If I sold anything, I would sell or trade the heads for something that works with your combo better, get some X heads, edey or trick flows I would say...all can usually be found for around 600-800 used with rockers a lot of times. just my 2c

there was a guy who used to be on this board (keith) who had a 414 and he had those heads. they did not flow nearly enough for his motor and when he upgraded to AFR 225s, he gained about 50 horses.

so they are definately not suitable for a 351 stroker, but they have a decent chance of being OK for a 351 or a 302.

Well just sold the pro comps actually doing different build now building the 351 up actually trying to identify a cam if anyone can help its a como cam z010 with the purple paint marking can't find and info or specs on it on the internet so if anyone has some info it'd be much appreciated