Need some advice on EFI valve covers ....

b.s.byrd

Mar 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Howdy! I have done some searching and reading, but have not come up with a definitive answer. I am getting ready to do an intake and MAF conversion on my '87 and wanted to dress up a bit by adding valve covers. In reading, I understand that there are some issues with clearance on EFI cars. If anyone could give me some sound advice on what type and brand covers to use, I would greatly appreciate it. I really like the FMS crinkle finish that have "Mustang - Powered by Ford" on them. Here is what I am changing on the car:

MAF conversion
UPR CAI
GT-40 intake

The car already has a strut tower brace. This has caused quite a few problems by itself! I had to trim the stock plastic oil filler cap down so that I could get it out from under the brace and changing the cap and wires is almost a job for the Great Houdini!! Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys or gals may have!

Barry :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If these are the ones your speaking of..
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=400070
they look great, but require some significant effort to keep polished and clean..I do love them, but will be pulling them to detail and reinstall for next yr, or replace with the chrome finished ones. I for one love putting time in cleaning up under the hood, but I just never took to them.

These are the ones:
FMSVCovers.jpg

I couldn't tell from your link if you were looking at these. Will they give me any clearance problems that you know of? Maintaining them should not be a problem as I only drive the car once or twice a month. Any other suggestions? Muchos Gracias!!!!!

those are the ones I have, but polished version...the oil baffles had to be removed and material ground out to accomodate my Scorpion 1.6rr's but they are a decent looking set and serve their purpose well...as stated earlier I do like them but require some effort. I am far too anal with my engine..I spend more time cleaning than driving and I just have not been overly pleased with the finish of the FMS valve covers...I do like the chrome style much more as a finishing touch. They do accomodate the PCV tube from the VC to the TB.
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/images/chromevalvecovers.jpg