Need some advice on Oil choices and low mileage car

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Hey Guys,
I wanted to ask you guys about what I should do oil wise. I drive my Vert only on sunny days for fun. I've had it for 2 years now. I have been putting about 4000 miles on it a year. Its been in the garage all winter and I'm going to be getting it out soon. I will have a oil change done before any serious driving starts but I noticed since I've owned it that it leaks a little oil that I didn't notice when i first it from the seller. I don't know what oil they put in it but I thought they put in either a heavier oil than I have or synthetics and now the seals are leaking. So I have 2 questions to ask your advice.

1) I was wondering because of the low mileage if I should use synthetics oil because of how much it sits? Or does it matter.

2) I would change the oil my self to save money but would have to use ramps and I learned that the oil pan has 2 ports. I was wondering if I would be able to remove all the old oil on the angle of the ramps?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

On the subject of oils and many engine rebuilds i can tell you to never ever ever use penzoil or quaker state unless you want massive waxxy sludge build up. If your engine is a low milage engine i would recomend using havoline as it is a fairly high detergent oil, and will keep it goop free. I myself owning an 89 vert with over 100k I prefer to use castrol or valvoline. I have grown to like the castol synnthetic, although you will pay about 4 to5 dollars a quart for it. Also i always use a good oil additive such as lucas. STP oil additive in the little blue bottle has also proven itself very usefull. As far as synthetic or conventional oils I think it's a matter of opinion. I myself prefer synthetics, but once again you will pay for the synthetic in a good brand such as castrol.Also valvoline has a line of oils out I believe call VR1 race oil, I have had good luck with it also.
Hope this helps

from my experience, with oil, as most things in life, you get what you pay for. I've used only Mobile1 in my mustangs for the longest time, with the occasional Catrol synthetic. I don't think changing to a heavier oil is going to stop you leaks. Seals are seals and over time they get wear or go bad. Miles may not always be the factor with an external leak (like mains) as it would be with internal (valves).

Now a days, its almost cheaper to have someone else do it, but i still like getting in there and doing it myself - that's just part of owning a mustang i think... don't worry about the ramps causing you to not get all the oil out. I always use a jack or ramps with no issues.

the wieght will vary based on climate and driving conditions, not miles per year on the car. A good oil company's website can guide you to the right weight to use.

never used the additives as the other guy mentioned, but that's not to say that they're not worth anything.

I hope that helped:shrug:

i'll agree with the use of castrol. good oil and reasonably priced. thats all i run in everything owned is castrol gtx and have never had a problem in the past 12 years. your oil filter is important also, dont skimp on a fram filter go with motorcraft or parts store brands like carquest, wix, etc.

Thanks for the info. guys its been helpful. I want t keep this car going so some day my 8 yr old can borrow it and hopefully not scratch it up too much. What!, what am I thinking? :SNSign:

Time for the stupid question. I am thinking about putting in Lucas Oil treatment when I change the oil. The bottle says 1 qt Lucas to 4 qts. oil. The car handles 5 qts. so I is that all I put in? Meaning only 4 qts of oil and the lucas?