Need some help with turn signal problem

psuStang

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2000
Arlington, VA
This car is really starting to piss me off. It seems like every time I drive it something else goes wrong. I was driving to work this morning and I realized that my right turn signal wasn't "blinking." The left one works fine. I didn't check the hazards, so I'm not sure if they are working or not. I don't know what to check first. My ignition switch fried about a year and a half ago and I replaced it with a new one. A little while ago my 3-way switch was acting funny (my headlights wouldn't stay on, I had to use the high beams). The switch was fixed, but not replaced. Should I check the 3-way switch? Could there be any other causes? I don't think it's the relays because the left blinker is working fine. I could be wrong though.

• Sponsors (?)

Like a_turbo_stang said, check the bulbs. Always think simple first when it comes to electrical stuff (or anything for that matter). Try the blinkers, the hazards and if the right one doesn't work, then I would assume the bulbs are bad. If the blinkers all work on the hazard but not when you use the blinker, then it might be the switch. If that's the case, just clean it off with some alcohol.

fred

Hey guys, my turn signal is being dumb too, and I figured id post here instead of starting a new thread. My turn signal used to blink really slowly, now its just stopped. None of the bulbs are burnt out, and none of the fuses are blown. My 4 ways still work though. Also, my friend said to replace the flasher in the fusepanel and when I went to, there wasnt even a flasher in there where it should be. I tried to stick it in the right spot but it wouldnt seem to go in. Any idea whats wrong?

In the 88, I think the flasher is on the back side of the fuse box. If you dont want to try and reach around it, then you can take out the screws and turn it sideways. Be careful not to strip these out, as they are going into plastic. If the bulb is lighting and not blinking, its almost always the flasher, go get one.