Need to go faster, What To Do???

mo_dingo

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Well, I just got back from the track, and I am extremely dissapointed. This is really aggrivating, and I idk where to go from here. It stopped raining about 12 hours earlier, so the humidity was really high. Elevation = 3,075 FT. Track temperature was low 50's. They sent the people w/ slicks home as it was too cold. For reference: My friends 03 cobra ran 13.7's consistently. My brothers 2003 GT ran 14.9/15.0 consistently.

My Best Time Slip of 10 Runs:
R/T = 7.28
60' = 2.616
330 = 7.015
1/8 = 10.515
MPH = 70.33
1000 = 13.548
1/4 = 16.093
MPH = 88.69

My last time at the track, I managed a 2.470 60' w/ a 15.8 @ 88.6 mph (can't find timeslip though)

Well, I know my car is "supposed" o run low 15's, so I think it's time for serious mods.

But I am at a loss as to what to do. If I can't get better than a 2.6 60' time w/ my stock 2.73 gears, what is going to happen if I get 3.73's? Will it improve or just get worse?

BTW, if I launch at a steady RPM of 2000 RPM's, I cut 2.7 60' times (bogging, basically, ET = teh lose). If I launch at 3000 RPM's, I spin HARD, cut a 2.6 60' time, but my ET is much worse. 2500 RPM's was the timeslip above.

So, here is the ultimate question. Do I go gears first, or do I go subframes/LCA's/UCA's? I plan to insall all of it myself, so installation fees aren't relevant. I guess I need a plan of action. The order in which I install these parts is important. I can do gears soon, but it will be a bit until I get the suspension mods, or vice versa.

Your help is appreciated, as always! Thanks!
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

mo_dingo said:
Well, I just got back from the track, and I am extremely dissapointed. This is really aggrivating, and I idk where to go from here. It stopped raining about 12 hours earlier, so the humidity was really high. Elevation = 3,075 FT. Track temperature was low 50's. They sent the people w/ slicks home as it was too cold. For reference: My friends 03 cobra ran 13.7's consistently. My brothers 2003 GT ran 14.9/15.0 consistently.

My Best Time Slip of 10 Runs:
R/T = 7.28
60' = 2.616
330 = 7.015
1/8 = 10.515
MPH = 70.33
1000 = 13.548
1/4 = 16.093
MPH = 88.69

My last time at the track, I managed a 2.470 60' w/ a 15.8 @ 88.6 mph (can't find timeslip though)

Well, I know my car is "supposed" o run low 15's, so I think it's time for serious mods.

But I am at a loss as to what to do. If I can't get better than a 2.6 60' time w/ my stock 2.73 gears, what is going to happen if I get 3.73's? Will it improve or just get worse?

BTW, if I launch at a steady RPM of 2000 RPM's, I cut 2.7 60' times (bogging, basically, ET = teh lose). If I launch at 3000 RPM's, I spin HARD, cut a 2.6 60' time, but my ET is much worse. 2500 RPM's was the timeslip above.

So, here is the ultimate question. Do I go gears first, or do I go subframes/LCA's/UCA's? I plan to insall all of it myself, so installation fees aren't relevant. I guess I need a plan of action. The order in which I install these parts is important. I can do gears soon, but it will be a bit until I get the suspension mods, or vice versa.

Your help is appreciated, as always! Thanks!
Scott

Dude, no offense. but BAD air or good air.. that 60 Ft is horrbile.
PLEASE tell me that your car is an auto.. and even then, it needs work.

The key to going fast is changing ONE thing at a time. This could be Timing, tire pressure, fuel pressure, shift point. Even as far as car weight.

I mean.. (not trying to preach) but get a lil practice in. eventually you will begin to FEEL the car.
You will begin understand what it likes, and what it hates.

You dont have to be doing high speed runs either. for a relatively stock car ( I consider that to be 12 sec's or slower) I think it really comes down to the drivers ablility (again, not trying to slam anybody). But, at the same time.. give a guy a STOCK SN95 with 4.10's in the rear, a 6k RPM rev limiter.. and slicks out back. And its only a matter of time before something breaks.

So, I dunno.. its kind of a (spelling) Buda thing. knowing what both car n' driver are capable of. Then, understand the weaknesses of both.. THEN work on improving them.

In my mind, thats the best way to go fast! :)

my .02 anyway.

So it rained down there to huh? Good to finally get some H2O with our storms!
You need to provide more info such as tranny type, tires, and whether you did a burnout or not, ect. FWIW if your friends were running 13.7's in an 03 cobra, and 14.9's in a new GT you could probably knock about seven-tenths off of all of your times which = you~15.3 There's your low 15. Not an exact science, but should make you feel better.

With a track elevation that high, you need a good tire. Traction and breathing are going to be at a minimum, and your times are going to be much slower (about 2 tenths), than all the other people on this board with similar mods because of the elevation. I would get a slick or DR first. 3.73's are only going to make your traction worse, so if you think your short times are bad now, they are going to be 3.something with a taller rear. Have you tried to leave the line at idle and peg it when you get about 10 feet out? That would probably be best. Slip the clutch out and give it gas, don't bring the rev's up, because thats what causes a bog.

Joe

Oops, sorry. I guess I forgot some important information. My car is a 5spd Vert with 245/45/17 inch tires. My only mods are magnaflow c/b, and bassani o/r x-pipe.

I got about 10 runs that night. Like I said before, I got a 2.5 60" for one run, but my ET was worse.

When I slip the clutch at 2000k rpm's, I bog really bad. If I leave at idle, it will only get worse. 2500 RPM's and slipping the clutch seemed to be the best point to launch that night. The tires would only spin slightly.

I have had about 30 runs down the track w/ my car. I guess I just need more practice.

I haven't messed with my timing at all because I have to run 91 octane to eliminate pinging. If I mess with the timing, it's only going to make matters worse.

As far as launch procedure, I would dodge the water box, then drop the clutch at 5k for a second just to clean all the dirt off of the tire. No smoke came from the tires that I could see. I tried to stage as shallow as possible, held the rpm's at the desired level, and when the light went green, I slipped the clutch just enough to prevent any wheel spin, and kept the rpm's at the desired RPM level. As soon as the clutch was fully engaged, I nailed the throttle. I shifted at 5300 for 1-2 shift, and 5100 for the 2-3 shift.

I want to do gears really bad, but if my 60' times are only going to get worse, then what is the point? I guess if the gears make up in the long run, or eliminate the feel of "bogging" when launching at 2000 rpm's, then I guess they will be worth it.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Oops, sorry. I guess I forgot some important information. My car is a 5spd Vert with 245/45/17 inch tires. My only mods are magnaflow c/b, and bassani o/r x-pipe.

I got about 10 runs that night. Like I said before, I got a 2.5 60" for one run, but my ET was worse.

When I slip the clutch at 2000k rpm's, I bog really bad. If I leave at idle, it will only get worse. 2500 RPM's and slipping the clutch seemed to be the best point to launch that night. The tires would only spin slightly.

I have had about 30 runs down the track w/ my car. I guess I just need more practice.

I haven't messed with my timing at all because I have to run 91 octane to eliminate pinging. If I mess with the timing, it's only going to make matters worse.

As far as launch procedure, I would dodge the water box, then drop the clutch at 5k for a second just to clean all the dirt off of the tire. No smoke came from the tires that I could see. I tried to stage as shallow as possible, held the rpm's at the desired level, and when the light went green, I slipped the clutch just enough to prevent any wheel spin, and kept the rpm's at the desired RPM level. As soon as the clutch was fully engaged, I nailed the throttle. I shifted at 5300 for 1-2 shift, and 5100 for the 2-3 shift.

I want to do gears really bad, but if my 60' times are only going to get worse, then what is the point? I guess if the gears make up in the long run, or eliminate the feel of "bogging" when launching at 2000 rpm's, then I guess they will be worth it.
Scott

Everything you said is pretty much right on...

I havnt had my 95 at the track yet,.. buy my 90 LX hatch ran a [email protected] stone stock (ok, I had a K&N) Ive clicked off 1.9- 60's on street tires. not drag radials.. STREET tires.

The street tire launch, .. from my experience anyway. well,.. its kinda strange. You know, most of the time.. you either bog the engine a bit.. or, spin the tires a tad.
its been my experience that when the car feels like the "arse" is wigglin a tad off the line, that you will get your best 60.

3K Alt is up there, thats for sure. But, I still think you can find a lil more in your 60.
On street tires..(even slicks for that matter) throttle modulation is a pretty big factor. knowing when to dive in, and knowing when to lift. (feel the car)

I think your on the right track (no pun intended) keep the chin up, wheel strait,.. and shifts firm.

<Personal note> that 13.87 came from powershifter every gearchange cept the 1-2 exchange. (tractiion problems).

Anyway, wittle away at it dude. Practice makes perfect. well, better timeslips anyway..

Nosfurato <---- is FARRRRRR from perfect.