Need tuning help

LS2 KLR

Apr 16, 2003
Houston, TX
I just had a 5.0 modular installed and am having some tuning problems. I drove it home over 100 miles and when I was almost home it seems my fuel cut off? It started back up but then kept happening until it wouldn't stay running. If I let it cool off I could run it for a short while but it would happen again. I then turned my chip off and it runs with no problems???

I had this happen twice with my old chip diablo, but am running sct now. Before, it just sputtered or started right up. Now once I drive for a little while it happens and won't run until I run it on my stock tune.

Anyone have a clue what this might be? Could it have anything to do with my return style fuel system?

• Sponsors (?)

I would just take it to an sct tuner like Tim Barth or Ed Clark and have them work their magic on it. Sucks to pay an extra $300-$500, but for peace of mind and knowing it would be done right, I don't think you could go wrong with that.

A drive from S Texas to GA would be a little pricey for that.

The only thing that I can think of is to make sure that the chip has good contact with the EEC, outside that mabye the burn is corrupt (mabye it didn't properly write one of the 4 banks).

I hope you get it worked out man, good luck.

did the tuner know you had the return style system? i know that if you have a returnless pump and the tune is for return style, the car won't start, i don't know about the other way around.

if it's something that changes only when the engine gets warm, i would think it would be something related to the timing. my theory would be that the timing table for the engine at or above operating temperature is messed up. so when the car hits a certain temp, it pulls timing. maybe it's pulling enough to make it stall. it's very tuff to tell without having a datalogger connected to the car.

kind of sounds like what my car was doing on the first SCT chip. it would start up and run fine and then the same day would not start at all. my chip ended up being the culprit. it would somehow not make solid contact and the car would not attempt to run. we took the chip out and replaced with a new one and it has worked perfect since. go back to the tuner and give it a try. they should warranty the chip for you.

showstopper2 said:
kind of sounds like what my car was doing on the first SCT chip. it would start up and run fine and then the same day would not start at all. my chip ended up being the culprit. it would somehow not make solid contact and the car would not attempt to run. we took the chip out and replaced with a new one and it has worked perfect since. go back to the tuner and give it a try. they should warranty the chip for you.

The only thing that makes me think it is the tuning and not the chip is that this did happen a couple of times with my diablo chip. Now it wasn't anything nearly as bad as it is now but the same problem. It would be nice if it ends up being something as simple as a bad chip.

Update: He messed with the tuning for awhile and didn't have any luck. He then replaced the chip and it runs great. Its the first chance I've had to get on it with the new stroker and it feels great! I haven't even sprayed it yet, lol.

Showstopper, I told him about you but he said he's never had any problems with the chips....until now. When he finally got it running right I asked him what he changed. With a big grin on his face he said, "the chip."