New 95 pushrod 5.0 v8 owner looking for advice on turbo set up

VEE8FBODY

Aug 11, 2021
Arbroath uk
Hello there” new to forums and V8s looking to put a holset hx32 single turbo setup on my 95 302, have a large trust intercooler bbk equal length headers , underdrive pulleys so,far looking for advice on if this turbo is suitable also what other significant parts would be needed ie ecu injectors fmu etc., trying to keep as simple as possible maybe 350-400rwhp or so would be fine just for street use and weekend fun thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Toss your equal lengths and get a set of unequal shorties. Exhaust scavenging doesn't matter when spooling a turbo, but underhood temps and room does.

Can't speak to the turbo you mentioned. That's a very specific application. Have you searched for anyone running it on a 200-300 hp V8 before the turbo?

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Toss your equal lengths and get a set of unequal shorties. Exhaust scavenging doesn't matter when spooling a turbo, but underhood temps and room does.

Can't speak to the turbo you mentioned. That's a very specific application. Have you searched for anyone running it on a 200-300 hp V8 before the turbo?
Well I live in Scotland and had to import the headers lol, just wanting to turbo her in the near future and looking to see what would be the best approach, open to using whichever turbo best suits the car hp figures are just a rough goal but would like 350 minimum

Well I live in Scotland and had to import the headers lol, just wanting to turbo her in the near future and looking to see what would be the best approach, open to using whichever turbo best suits the car hp figures are just a rough goal but would like 350 minimum
10B57D71-1F1B-4D9A-BD8A-6AB228024BFB.jpeg A0B0505C-4DBE-43F8-AFAE-DD48C4CCC0D7.jpeg

The 62-1 on a T4 housing will get you where you want to be, and it won't break the bank. This is not from personal experience, but I have seen quite a few combos with that turbo in single and twin configuration over the years. Again, I cannot speak to the HY35, as I've never heard of it.

Generally, the old-school basic 61-70mm turbos will get you 600-ish hp through a manual. You'll want a free-breathing hot side, and higher is better on the A/R for the exhaust housing. Back-pressure is your enemy. Trust me though, toss the equals. They are only going to cause you heartburn.

Edit: Oh.. after looking at the spec on that HY35, I'm going to advise against it. The 2.25" outlet is way too small. The T28 inlet is the kind of inlet typically used on a twin setup for our motors. I don't like how it claims 3bar of boost without specifying the engine displacement. That's not a very technical way to write about a product. The .55 A/R housing is too small for a single turbo setup. That may be good for a twin setup, but you don't need twins for awesome spool or for the power you need. Given the choice, go with the 62.

The 62-1 on a T4 housing will get you where you want to be, and it won't break the bank. This is not from personal experience, but I have seen quite a few combos with that turbo in single and twin configuration over the years. Again, I cannot speak to the HY35, as I've never heard of it.

Generally, the old-school basic 61-70mm turbos will get you 600-ish hp through a manual. You'll want a free-breathing hot side, and higher is better on the A/R for the exhaust housing. Back-pressure is your enemy. Trust me though, toss the equals. They are only going to cause you heartburn.

Edit: Oh.. after looking at the spec on that HY35, I'm going to advise against it. The 2.25" outlet is way too small. The T28 inlet is the kind of inlet typically used on a twin setup for our motors. I don't like how it claims 3bar of boost without specifying the engine displacement. That's not a very technical way to write about a product. The .55 A/R housing is too small for a single turbo setup. That may be good for a twin setup, but you don't need twins for awesome spool or for the power you need. Given the choice, go with the 62.
Thanks appreciate your time and advice, what’s with the headers ? Equall bad as will be hard to fit or ? Thanks

Also I got under drive pulleys, was this a noob move also ? Think I need to do more research lol
While your here is like to pick your brain some more to if that’s ok
Was/am also considering going the Na route ie, heads ,upper and lower intake ,TB, tappets etc, probs refresh plugs injectors and dizzy/ leads.
What would be your thoughts on this approach mine is auto FYI.
No exact rush here so plan of attack firmly in place before any other purchases lol

Those headers will have some fitment issues if turning them forward as turbo manifolds. There's also more pipe so more heat on equal length.

NA is more consistent and easier on the wallet.

With turbo you will need a strong enough transmission for the power a turbo car can make.

Megasquirt MS3 would run anything with no problems. PimpXS or any aftermarket ecu running MS3 internals.

Those headers will have some fitment issues if turning them forward as turbo manifolds. There's also more pipe so more heat on equal length.

NA is more consistent and easier on the wallet.

With turbo you will need a strong enough transmission for the power a turbo car can make.

Megasquirt MS3 would run anything with no problems. PimpXS or any aftermarket ecu running MS3 internals.
Was initially thinking the Na route half the reason I went for the pushrod v8 prefer the old skool, was just reading a lot about the turbo route into these but seems to much hassle even in theory lol.
So Na it is guess it’s homework time on parts needed etc, I hear the 19lb injectors are good for up to maybe 350 ish, so with heads cam intake matching ofcourse, think new injectors maybe 1 size up, plugs and leads also maybe new dizzy, any other smaller items i should replace as a matter of point along the way ?
Also for info it’s a 1995 with cai , 49k miles / 80k km on the clocks.

If the stock distributor is working there's no need to change it. The aftermarket ones are hit or miss.

You should start another thread for naturally aspirated advice. That'll bring more of the regulars in.

Regarding the equal length headers, it is difficult enough to make things fit with a turbo configuration under the hood around normal headers. While I acknowledge that it is possible to use equal length headers, they will certainly add heat underhood and heat is the enemy in turbo cars. Furthermore, there is no gain for equal length headers like there can be in naturally aspirated combos. Equal length headers can time the pulses of the exhaust through the collector in such a way that it helps the exhaust Scavenging effect. However, due to high back pressure Upstream from the turbine, this effect is negligible on a turbo car. In fact, the longer the exhaust must travel and loss of heat may be counterproductive to spooling the turbo to some also negligible degree. In short, you pay a cost without an upside.

If the stock distributor is working there's no need to change it. The aftermarket ones are hit or miss.
Yes all is working well buddy it’s in good general condition for a 26 year old car
You can hit 400 HP na with H/C/I.....no need for a turbo unless you want more than 400
400 or in that region would be plenty and am leaning towards na as this was my first thoughts