New best 60' time and new best gas mileage?

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I got a new best 60' time in the 2.3. First run out, I got a 1.706 60' time on the same ol' 245-45-17 nittos. The first 100' or so felt GREAT. I didn't think the nittos could hook that hard and I certainly didn't think the 7.5" rear end could tolerate it, but that is DANG close to a 1.6! The overall run was kinda goofy... I ran a [email protected] mph That's a serious mis-match of mph and ET. From that run you can tell there is a problem because it only gained 18mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4 mile markers. After that, something was obviously wrong with the car because I lost about 100hp, and more than 1 second of ET. I spent the rest of the night running mid-low 13s, checking everything I could think of... checked the timing several times, looked for boost/air leaks everywhere I could think, let the car cool well, checked the tune, ect ect. I finally figured out it was running lean, but still not sure why. I wasn't very happy, because I'm quite certain the car could have gone 11's in that cool fall air. :(

Now, to keep it 4.6l related: I took the 97 GT on a trip to St. Louis over the weekend and got some nice gas mileage. On the way there, I got 27mpg, and the way back, I got 26mpg. I was driving 74-77mph most of the time, so I wasn't exactly holding up traffic either. That's pretty good for a 13 year old car with a V8 and enough power to be fun. I think that ties my previous best of 27mpg in that car, which I did in much hotter weather.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about the problems with the '88. Post up when you figure out what the matter was. And congrats on the fuel economy numbers. These cars can pull some great numbers if they're maintained and driven properly. I once got 30 mpg on a drive from Dover, NJ to Philadelphia, PA.