New ecu suggestions? 1986 GT

James408

May 18, 2020
New York
So I'm about to pick a new ecu because my a9l burned up. Its a 1986 GT with maf conversion and it had idle issues and low rpms misfires and rough running that i chased for long time. Long story short I went and tried for about to years to find it and after thinking I got it fixed went and put some twisted wedge 170s and cobra intake on it and issues got real bad. Couldn't even pull codes anymore with jumper in it would just rev way up for no reason and test light would stay on solid idle would drop almost die at times and then have no response from ecu with jumper in. So pulled the a9l out and 2 of the three big electrolytic caps bulges and blown out the bottom. So now thinking of getting microsquirt and running that instead any thoughts??

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm about to pick a new ecu because my a9l burned up. Its a 1986 GT with maf conversion and it had idle issues and low rpms misfires and rough running that i chased for long time. Long story short I went and tried for about to years to find it and after thinking I got it fixed went and put some twisted wedge 170s and cobra intake on it and issues got real bad. Couldn't even pull codes anymore with jumper in it would just rev way up for no reason and test light would stay on solid idle would drop almost die at times and then have no response from ecu with jumper in. So pulled the a9l out and 2 of the three big electrolytic caps bulges and blown out the bottom. So now thinking of getting microsquirt and running that instead any thoughts??
[/QUOTE. Figure a microsquirt because When I do more upgrades like better flowing intake and cam bigger injectors ect. Can do speed density and not have to deal with expense of maf sensors and can learn to tune the car with it

Do you have the skills to repair the ECU? Can just solder on new caps and give it a test. That solution would cost a few bucks and an hour or two of your time.

microsquirt will definitely give you more room to grow and more ability.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have the skills to repair the ECU? Can just solder on new caps and give it a test. That solution would cost a few bucks and an hour or two of your time.

microsquirt will definitely give you more room to grow and more ability.

I have a little bit of experience and could likely do ok soldering new caps on. But I'm thinking maybe just go with microsquirt because it will give me ability to upgrade to biggers injectors and cams and the such without having to change maf meters and go crazy with dyno tuning. I mean yeah it will be a steep learning curve but I'm ready i have alot of time on my hands right now. Lol

One more thing need to ask is can the microsquirt control rev limiter like 2 step/launch control? From what I understand the stock tfi cant do spark cut but just want control of rev limits and 2 step for launch control in the future.