New Fastback Build Starting Point Questions

Basedg0d

Feb 28, 2021
Florida
Hi all, I'm finally at a point in my life where I'm ready to build my "dream" fastback. I wanted to post this thread to get some different opinions and POVs and potential advice about a foundation for my fastback build. The way I see it I have a few options.

1. Source an original fastback, be it a rusted-out body, or someone's survivor car. (retains original VIN)

2. Source a coupe and commission a coupe- fastback conversion (retains coupe VIN)

3. Dyancorn body, which I'm iffy about after having seen the infamous dyancorn body thread on here. This also presents the issue of sourcing a chassis, be it purpose-built or trying to utilize a donor mustang.

4. Finally I've come across a few garages, suppliers, etc that offer a roller 67/68/69 that includes a new metal body (presumably sourced from dynacorn, although some indicate they produce it themselves) which is pre-gapped and fitted. The roller also included a purpose-built chassis with suspension and 4 wheel discs already installed and lined up. So this option would seem that it just requires a power train, trim, paint, and interior, to get going. The going price for this set-up seems to be around 37-39k depending which shop.

Attached is an example of the type of body that's available

image5.jpg

image2.jpg
image0.jpg

So ultimately I was hoping I could pick the brains of a few more experienced people in the classic mustang world as to their thoughts and opinions on the various options.

• Sponsors (?)

Only 2 important questions here:

1. How much work do you want to do(or at least willing to do)?
2. Does originality matter to you?

Answer those and you will know the way you want to go...also taking into account the tools will need to finish...though regardless, by the looks you will need a way to flip the car sideways at least to get to the undercarriage to paint it.

Only 2 important questions here:

1. How much work do you want to do(or at least willing to do)?
2. Does originality matter to you?

Answer those and you will know the way you want to go...also taking into account the tools will need to finish...though regardless, by the looks you will need a way to flip the car sideways at least to get to the undercarriage to paint it.
Hey, thanks for the reply. So originality is a non-issue for me, I almost prefer the newer metal just for ease of not dealing with rust/age/old wiring, etc. As far as the work I'm willing to do, I don't mind taking on a good amount of it. I think I'm wondering if that pricepoint of 39k is more than its worth, obv a convenience factor is in it. Or if trying to commission someone to convert a coupe is the path of least resistance. Just trying to weigh options.

Hey, thanks for the reply. So originality is a non-issue for me, I almost prefer the newer metal just for ease of not dealing with rust/age/old wiring, etc. As far as the work I'm willing to do, I don't mind taking on a good amount of it. I think I'm wondering if that pricepoint of 39k is more than its worth, obv a convenience factor is in it. Or if trying to commission someone to convert a coupe is the path of least resistance. Just trying to weigh options.

That I couldn't tell you, depends on if it comes with the suspension mods in the pictures. I promise you that if I counted up the hours I have in my little old coupe and charged myself $20 a hour it would already be a $40,000 car and its not even close to finished.

you can spend the $40k for the custom built roller,but your only halfway done.for the money,and rust free coupe for $3k-4k plus the $7k to convert to a fastback is a good option.i used my coupe that i had for 17 years,so no loss there.still kept the same car,now just a fastback.after conversion,there is more to buy,3 windows,interior panels,trim etc.but all said you could be starting at around $15k for a fastback roller.

Reactions: 1 user
you can spend the $40k for the custom built roller,but your only halfway done.for the money,and rust free coupe for $3k-4k plus the $7k to convert to a fastback is a good option.i used my coupe that i had for 17 years,so no loss there.still kept the same car,now just a fastback.after conversion,there is more to buy,3 windows,interior panels,trim etc.but all said you could be starting at around $15k for a fastback roller.
I saw the thread for your conversion, I think you're right that it is a solid option. Hows the structural rigidity of the car post-conversion?