New Guy, New Project Post

kjwalters

Jan 19, 2018
NEW BUILD......Hello everyone, my name is Jamie I am project manager for Juan's Auto Body in Peru IL. I just joined the forum to check out the builds and also share a project we are get getting going on. I thought the people here might enjoy watching the car come together. Just a little back ground on the car, it's a 69 Mustang Fastback GT that was a stalled project. We pickup the car up and plan of finishing it by late spring early summer. The car has already had some extensive work done when we got it. The chassis was brand new, as the chrome alloy cage were already done and the body was fit. Most of the interior sheet metal work had been completed, and I have to say I was very pleased with the quality of work already done which is one reason we purchased the car. I know the time and money it takes just to get it to this point. Here some pics of how it came to us.
1969-mustang-fastback-serious-pro-touring-project-50-complete-4.jpg
1969-mustang-fastback-serious-pro-touring-project-50-complete-6.jpg
1969-mustang-fastback-serious-pro-touring-project-50-complete-13.jpg
2853.jpeg
2854.jpeg
16776144_10154384063818177_9171486_o.jpg
16804690_10154384062708177_771939455_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Our first order of business was to remove all the suspension in order to prepare the bare metal to have epoxy applied to insure that it wouldn't rust. That may sounds easy, but to properly do this, tall the parts that are bare metal need to be first be acid washed, then gone over again with a de-greaser; since most of the car was bare metal floors, cage, fire wall, chassis etc... that meant hours and hours of work just to prep for epoxy. In the end though it turned out great and we now have piece of mind knowing it will not flash rust on us, and the surface in now ready for when we paint. While the suspension is off we will also prep those parts for powder coating.
IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg
IMAG0780.jpg
IMAG0770.jpg
IMAG0772.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0774.jpg
    IMAG0774.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0775.jpg
    IMAG0775.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAG0780.jpg
    IMAG0780.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 225
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 201
The car has most of the tin work done, but not all. As you can see it was missing the wheel tubs and side floor panels. We started to mock up the wheel wells yesterday, this is not as easy as one might think. If you have never fabricated wheel well before it can be a daunting task. Lots of cardboard and patients.
IMAG0782.jpg
IMAG0783.jpg

nice work to this point. looks like it would make a nice pro street car, or perhaps i nice door slammer, like a super gas or competition eliminator car. your options are wide open at this point.

nice work to this point. looks like it would make a nice pro street car, or perhaps i nice door slammer, like a super gas or competition eliminator car. your options are wide open at this point.

Thanks, The plan for the car was to be a pro touring car from conception, so that is the way we are going with it. 2016 5.0 Coyote motor with a supercharger, 4R75W computer control trans, A/C, pw steering, hydra boost brakes, leather interior etc..etc... it's going to be a fun project that's for sure. Thanks for looking.

i should note though that it wont be legal for super gas, since forced induction is not allowed, unless they changed the rules(i havent checked in a number of years).

Reactions: 1 user
i should note though that it wont be legal for super gas, since forced induction is not allowed, unless they changed the rules(i havent checked in a number of years).

Yeah I realized that as well, but that's o.k we really just wanted a beautiful driver anyway, which is why we are building it as a pro touring car, which is what it was always designed to be anyway. I'm sure if we ever got the urge to take it down the 1/4 mile street night would be fun.

So when we finally got the tubs in this past week. After fitting the tub kit that came with the car, we decided we didnt like them because they were to thin so we fabricated our own. It was a pain to start over, but we are glad we did. The new tubs look great and are much stronger than the Chassis engineering kit. Next up is to fabricate the side trunk floor panels and then seem seal the car entire car.

Attachments

• IMAG0789.jpg
    IMAG0789.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0790.jpg
    IMAG0790.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0798.jpg
    IMAG0798.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 222
IMAG0799.jpg
IMAG0802.jpg
IMAG0803.jpg
IMAG0804.jpg
IMAG0805.jpg
IMAG0806.jpg
IMAG0807.jpg
One fo the first things we did was remove the TCI pro touring IFS and triangulated 4 link out along with the Moser 9" so we could have them powder coated. We got them back this past week and this weekend we decided to put them back together and get them ready for install. They turned out great. We also received the 3 member for the 9" on Wednesday so we installed that as well. The 3rd member is running a 3:70 gear, with true trac posi and Daytona support and billet Yoke, along with the Moser 31 spline axles. This rear end is capable of holding the HP we are going to throw at it without complaint.

Well, after getting the set of chassis engineering wheel tubs fit, we decided that they were to thin for our liking to we decided to Fab our own. I am glad we did, they turned out great and are much stronger. We are working on the side trunk floor extensions and then will seam seal the entire body before starting work on the rear tail section.
IMAG0789.jpg
IMAG0790.jpg
IMAG0798.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So we have been making some headway with the Ground Zero 69 fastback. The tubs are done and we fabricated and installed some trunk floor side panels, and then seam sealed the entire car.

Attachments

• IMAG0808.jpg
    IMAG0808.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMAG0811.jpg
    IMAG0811.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0812.jpg
    IMAG0812.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 238
We love these kind of builds because they allow us to make some changes and customize without any restrictions; even more so with the Ground Zero Mustang since it's our own car. We decided to make some changes on the rear tail section that as far as we know will be a first for a 69. We have seen many real cool builds of these cars, and we wanted to stand out, so we decided to remove the signature center gas fill form the rear panel and relocate it. But it's not just for aesthetics, with our relocation of the fuel cell to the trunk area we still wanted to be able to get gas without opening the trunk, so there was no point in having a gas fill in the tail panel. We also have decided to run a set of 2014 style Raxiom sequential led tail lights. This will give the rear end of the car a newer fresher look, but still scream mustang stang. Of course this will require modification to the rear bumper and the quarter extensions.

Attachments

• IMAG0879.jpg
    IMAG0879.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0880.jpg
    IMAG0880.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG0881.jpg
    IMAG0881.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG0884.jpg
    IMAG0884.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0887.jpg
    IMAG0887.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 199
More work on the Ground Zero Mustang motor. Installed a nice new SFI fly wheel and ARP fasteners in preparation for the 4R75W trans.
Do we need it...no, but again why skimp when you can do it now, do it and get it over with.
IMAG0897.jpg
IMAG0898.jpg

We have been trying to finish up a 39 Plymouth restoration for a customer so time spent on the mustang has been limited. I have been working on the S550 Coyote that is going into the car at my home shop. This is my first experience with these motors and have to say, I am impressed with it. Ford really go this motor right. Super easy to work on and extremely well built. Our 2016 only had a few thousand miles on it, and it was evident was I took things apart how clean it was. The first order of business was to change out the stock oil gears and crank sprocket for a set of 4340 Billet ones from MMR. These motors are very capable platforms, but since we are supercharging I wanted to insure that the thing stays together. While I was at it we decided to also install a Moroso racing aluminum oil pan. This pan comes with baffles and trap doors to keep oil were it should be and also provision for a oil return line when running forced induction. I am waiting on a few more Items form MMR before I finish up up and put the front cover back on.
IMAG0966.jpg
IMAG0967.jpg
IMAG0968.jpg
IMAG0969.jpg
IMAG0970.jpg