New Guy

Good Morning! I'm brand new to this forum currently interested in looking for a Mustang. I'm trying to decide between a S197 or a New Edge. It will be a pure weekend car and must be a convertible and a manual trans. I'm not interested in the 11' and up S197's because I feel they def do not look as good and the prices are a bit high. That said, I always wanted a New Edge because that was a hot car when I graduated high school (2001). I know they are a bit slow but I heard can get really woken up with a set of good heads (TFS or ported) and run with modern cars. That said, what is the opinion between the S197 4.6 and the 2V. I hear the S197 has severe cam phaser issues that could cost a ton in repairs or even a new motor. I look forward to the discussion.

• Sponsors (?)

Both the 2v and 3v are good options if you find a well maintained one. I wouldn’t out the gate try to compare them to the new coyote powered mustangs - the new mustangs have over 100hp and upgrades in nearly every department. Heads aren’t going to be enough to keep up, you need a blower.

if your goal is to have a fun car - both the 2v and 3v are solid. There is a huge aftermarket. I would focus on which body style / what features you like. The 3v weighs a little more but has much better heads, a panhard bar for better handling, and better seating position / interior space (all are fixable, I’ve fixed all those 2v deficiencies :) )

Both the 2v and 3v are good options if you find a well maintained one. I wouldn’t out the gate try to compare them to the new coyote powered mustangs - the new mustangs have over 100hp and upgrades in nearly every department. Heads aren’t going to be enough to keep up, you need a blower.

if your goal is to have a fun car - both the 2v and 3v are solid. There is a huge aftermarket. I would focus on which body style / what features you like. The 3v weighs a little more but has much better heads, a panhard bar for better handling, and better seating position / interior space (all are fixable, I’ve fixed all those 2v deficiencies :) )

Awesome! Thanks for the input. Have you heard anything concerning the cam phaser issues with the 3v's? Like how common is it really?

Awesome! Thanks for the input. Have you heard anything concerning the cam phaser issues with the 3v's? Like how common is it really?

It was added to the 3v’s to save a little gas mileage. There are cam phaser kits for more aggressive cams that don’t allow the timing to be turned down as much as OEM allows.

The 3v motors are now 10+ years old and 2v motors are 16+ years old. Both sets of cars are going to need maintenance of bigger components. I wouldn’t fixate on cam phasers, common enough that we have heard about them but not common enough to avoid 3v motors. You’ll save on the upfront cost with an older car but a 10 year+ car is going to need more maintenance - it’s painful and fun at the same time. Parts and know how are readily available, roll up your sleeves and pick which style mustang you like best. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
It was added to the 3v’s to save a little gas mileage. There are cam phaser kits for more aggressive cams that don’t allow the timing to be turned down as much as OEM allows.

The 3v motors are now 10+ years old and 2v motors are 16+ years old. Both sets of cars are going to need maintenance of bigger components. I wouldn’t fixate on cam phasers, common enough that we have heard about them but not common enough to avoid 3v motors. You’ll save on the upfront cost with an older car but a 10 year+ car is going to need more maintenance - it’s painful and fun at the same time. Parts and know how are readily available, roll up your sleeves and pick which style mustang you like best. :nice:

Thanks for the input!

For a pure weekend car I'd take the new edge. For me the new edge cars are in the sweet spot for size and weight.
I love my 07 Gt500 but my 03 Gt vert is the go to car when I just want to jump in and go somewhere. The smaller dimensions make the car feel like less work to drive.
Really can't go wrong with either choice.

New Edge for less complexity and more of them in the junkyards for parts. They put that 2v into so many vehicles. Those mine shaft clusters are to funky. I looked for many months to find my cream puff.

I don't mean to high jack the thread but I am in the market for a new edge as well, ideally an 02-04. I'm trying to keep my budget below 4k and it is limiting me to a lot of higher mileage cars. How reliable are they? I had 2 Trans AMs over 110k miles and they held up well, stock for the most part. Will mostly be doing appearance mods and typical bolt on modifications to the new Mustang. I know coming from GM/Pontiac will be different but I've always liked the new edge Mustangs and I will plan a coyote swap in the coming years. Should even question mileage if the car has been well maintained? any thing to be mindful of other than tires, clutch and the usuals?

From what I have garnered they will go to 200K pretty easily if the maintenance has been kept up and not abused. Pretty much the same engine as the Cop Crown Vic and I have seen mega miles on them and still running. The only problem I have seen come up on occasion is the chains/guies/tensioners needing replacement but it doesn't seem to be prevalent and who knows the history of the engine upkeep etc. Gotta keep the oil full and clean. Strong tranny and rear end with simple 1 piece driveshaft too, I think they start to become more complex after 2004 and up. I fully expect mine to go 200K at least. I like to play around with it but not thrash it. Happy with mine for now.

From what I have garnered they will go to 200K pretty easily if the maintenance has been kept up and not abused. Pretty much the same engine as the Cop Crown Vic and I have seen mega miles on them and still running. The only problem I have seen come up on occasion is the chains/guies/tensioners needing replacement but it doesn't seem to be prevalent and who knows the history of the engine upkeep etc. Gotta keep the oil full and clean. Strong tranny and rear end with simple 1 piece driveshaft too, I think they start to become more complex after 2004 and up. I fully expect mine to go 200K at least. I like to play around with it but not thrash it. Happy with mine for now.
Yeah I mean I want it for weekend trips to the track and a general summer car to work on and have fun with.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I'm reading up on, I think at the most it'll see cams. I mean honestly if I can get it up for 400 RWP or in that realm I'll be pretty happy. maybe a conservative 50 shot of NOS to boot. My LS1 cars I've owned were pretty bullet proof handled a lot of power but I just don't want a Camaro and I've had 2 Firebirds T/As and the price points on those are a good 8-10k for something with 100k + miles. I appreciate the feedback and OP good luck with your search, lots on info on here as I'm finding, Thank you all!