New member, maybe new owner looking for advice

shadango

May 13, 2011
Hi folks

New to the forum.

Ok, right out of the gate - I am admitting I am not a Ford man. The last FOrd I owned was a 94 Explorer with the V6. I sunk more money into that than it was worth just keeping it running...left me stranded on two vacations within 3 years and I took am major loss when I got rid of it.....I told myself then "never another Ford".

Thats unfair, I know. LOL

I am a Mopar fan mostly, having a couple trucks and a 72 Barracuda (my baby).

However, being a classic car buff, the new mustangs wake up a certain something in me.

And, same in my wife.

So we are looking for a toy for her.

We both love the 2006-2010 body style....but we are leaning to a 2011 because of the extra power and economy on the V6. 2008 GTs are selling for around $20k, and the new 2012 V6 base models are selling for $23k sticker.

More power, more mileage, more warranty (buying new) with the 2011 or 12 v6, so it seems to be a no brainer.

I dont know anyone who has one, but the reviews seem to say its a winner.....havent seen any for sale locally but them we have been looking for 2010 and below til we realized the new v6 was available in 2011!

I am looking for feedback from those who own a 2011 V6 model. Do you like it, love it or would you have gone a different route....how is the ride and handling of a base model? Do you really get the high gas mileage that they claim? Those sorts of things.

Thanks folks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would imagine a base model would ride and handle just as good as other packages...just short of the braking.

I dont own the v6, but me being a V8 owner I always look at mustangs going by, always determine weather or not its a v6...and I just look away from the V6, my judgement stops there. As for the V8 I will study it further.

I am biast, but go with the GT, you will be much happier. I will sell you my 09 :) 9,000 miles on it, as for I too, am looking at the new ones.

I dont own the v6, but me being a V8 owner I always look at mustangs going by, always determine weather or not its a v6...and I just look away from the V6, my judgement stops there. As for the V8 I will study it further..

To be honest, I am "USUALLY" that way too....or at least used to be.

Before I got my Barracuda I was always of the concept that a "muscle car" HAD to have a big engine.

Well, I have a 318 (modified) in mine and let me tell you, while she is not a 440-6pack, she will go baby. :)

Funny...when I go to car cruises and shows, I get the young crowd running up to the car (its color is sublime so it catches the eye)

100_2318.jpg

.... and first thing they yell is "Hey is that a hemi!".....or "Hey,whats in that...440?"

You can see their disappointment and then they turn away.

Well, the way I see it, aside from my my small block being able to whip on on much of whats out there on the road, I have a classic , 38 year old Barracuda and she is all MINE. Maybe one day stroked small block or a crate big block....but for nowm she is a LOT of fun and I enjoy her...not really worried about if someone else approves of her engine size.

Same with the Mustang.

While I would love to be able to go out and spend $40k on a GT, its not gonna happen....plus, its impractical for my wife's use.....even the v6 model is "impractical" for us by common standards I suppose.

Just trying to hit a middle ground here.

The new v6 puts out 305 HP. In a car this size that is plenty of power.

(Its plenty for you with your older v8, right?) Plus with gas being $4/gallon and her wanting to commute in this car, mileage has to be considered...cant beat the mileage on the new 6s.

Ford really has come up with what seems to be a "best bang for the buck" combination.

We looked at used GTs...but the cost for those is just too high comparative to a NEW one. A USED GT is going for between $19k and $24k here. That is averaging 15-20k miles and only part of the factory waranty remaining...plus its used....no idea who has beat on it, etc....and then the mileage of a v8.

A NEW 2012 V6 mustang starts at $22k. full warranty, brand new, and the same hp as the previous year base GT.

Not really positive what we will end up with, but leaning toward new.

Truth be told, I am, like I said, really a Mopar man....love the look of the new Challengers...but the new Pentastar v6 puts out the same numbers as the Mustangs new V6, and the car is 500 lbs heavier. I have read that the new Mustang v6 will give the 5.7 hemi cars a run for the money. Not to mention that the Challenger v6 cars start at $2k more price wise.

I don't own a v6 but I drove one when making up my mind. The reason that I went with the V8 was twofold.

1. I really wanted the 401A interior upgrade package that isn't offered in the v6.
2. And this is really the kicker, it was the allure of having the 5.0 on the side of my car. As a kid, I always wanted a Mustang 5.0. When I was finally able to afford a GT, it was the 4.6L engine in the 2001 model. It was a great engine and it was a Mustang GT but it wasn't really a 5.0. Ford really hit the nail on the head with me and I'm paying silly money just to have a badge on the side of the car but it's the realization of a childhood dream for me.

All of that being said, it was a tough decision. I'm not a racer, I don't intend to mod or track the car. The v6 in both the 2.73 and 3.31 gearing had all of the getup and go that I needed so the decision was between the V6 vert and the GT coupe. Ultimately because of the above reasons, I went with the GT coupe but it was not an easy decision.

All of that just to say that in my limited driving experience the V6 was a lot of fun to drive.