New member, scared of a problem on a mustang I just bought yesterday.

Michael123

Mar 3, 2012
Hi all, after drooling over them since I was old enough to drool. I finally purchased a 2000 mustang gt yesterday. I "thought" I was careful in selecting a nice stock manual car with 104k miles on it. This was my first manual transmission car so I went out today and have someone teach me to drive it. Well,getting back to the point. The cars engine seems to be randomly accelerating. The gas pedal is kinda loose so I think that might be it? It does not happen all the time but every once in a while it just takes off. Like try and imagine going out on the street for the first time learning to drive the manual and it just going nuts at random times. Kind off scary.also, the car has no power in 3rd or 5th gear but it seems to have plenty 1,2 and 4. Is this normal? Like, I can't even crawl up a hill in third that I could be in fourth. I know this is long but I really need some help. Thanks a bunch and nice to meet you all here at the forum.

• Sponsors (?)

Also, what I meant by saying that it is randomly accelerating. Well.... for example I parked the car at my house at was planning on turning it off...like my foot was no where near the pedal just on the break. I guess it was like about 30 sec after i took my foot off the gas it just started doing a burnout because it started accelerating when my foot happened to still be breaking...it eventually stopped

Let's start by checking the throttle return spring. There should be TWO. A round one wrapped around the butterfly shaft. And a standard long spring running from the throttle to the throttle body.

Check the throttle for binding. The throttle must work freely and close tight when released.

Check for loose hoses and other sources of vacuum leaks.

It might be a good idea to get a base line health check of the motor. Consider running a compression check.

Also, what I meant by saying that it is randomly accelerating. Well.... for example I parked the car at my house at was planning on turning it off...like my foot was no where near the pedal just on the break. I guess it was like about 30 sec after i took my foot off the gas it just started doing a burnout because it started accelerating when my foot happened to still be breaking...it eventually stopped

I would think the only way that your car would be doing a burnout in the driveway with your foot on the brake would be if you suddenly let off the clutch while the engine is running. If your foot was holding the clutch pedal down the rear wheels shouldnt even be connected to the engine. If you were holding the clutch in then there might be something wrong with the release mechanism.

There could still be something else wrong since typically it wouldnt have enough power to spin the wheels against the brakes (unless the rear brakes dont work either).

Anyway, congrats on the new purchase and good luck learning to drive the new toy. There are many people more knowledgable than I on here about your other issues so hopefully someone can help!

I don't understand the situation. DID you have the clutch in? Did you release the clutch while still in gear? Sounds like you had the car in first and released the clutch.

Michael123...do you mean a "burnout" as in the car shot forward, screeched the tires and then stalled out...or do you mean "burnout" as in the tires were roasting? Because if it's the latter then I have to say I never heard of any manual trans car doing that. Maybe you just need a bit more practice driving a stick shift car. This is your first Mustang AND you're new to driving a stick shift...so I'd say it's just foreign to you. You might just need a bit more time behind the wheel. I would never recommend a V8 Mustang as a car to learn how to drive stick shift in.

As far as the driving up hill thing and loss of power thing...maybe you're just in the wrong gear. If you're going up a hill at a slow speed and you're in fourth or third then you're probably not going to have a lot of acceleration until you downshift. Now if you had no power in third and then upshifted to fourth and had power, then I'd say something could be wrong. What speed were you going and what gear were you in where you've noticed that you have no power? Maybe it's just that you're not used to all this like I said before.

^^ This.

You have to downshift when you are going up a hill if you are at low RPMs in a manual trans. Unlike an automatic which will do this for you. Also, your accelerating issue is very vague, I would get a friend to drive the car and see if they notice the same issue. What it sounds like you may be doing is letting off the clutch without hitting the gas, and the car lurches forward?

Also, there is a mod for the 99-04 mustangs that you can raise the gas pedal to the brake pedal height by putting a piece of plastic tubing on the cable and putting some zip ties or clamps on it. This is very easy to check for, just put your head under the dash (in front of the driver seat) and look up with a flashlight. Do a search for the mod and you will see pictures of what to look for, but it should be pretty obvious. I have heard of people putting too much tube on the cable and effectively making the car act like the gas pedal is pushed in when it isn't.