New Moser axles what's the tolerance acceptance?

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
I've had a weird issue with the rearend in my car. We noticed the wheels were wobbling in the back one day while it was up on stands. (This during the 331 conversion over a year ago.) We took the wheel off, still wobbled. Took the spacer off, still wobbled. Took the caliper and rotor off, still wobbled. Next step ended up being 31 spline upgrade.

The car STILL does this. So I pulled an axle out. Took it to a driveline shop to get checked out. The new axle checked from centers is 20 thousands off where the bearing rests. It's 10 thousands off on the face of the flange where the rotor goes.

I was told the 10 thousands isn't terrible for the flange, but to figure this correctly I really need to take into account when it's installed it's basically figured by the bearing ride area. In other words that section is not too good. So it could make the flange wobble worse as the axle slides around a bit.

The new axles have 1,500 miles on them or so. (I only checked one, but the other is showing a slight wobble as well.) :nonono:

The shop recommended I check on sending them back. :shrug: But they said they would check the replacements before installing them.

• Sponsors (?)

Eh, I couldn't take it. Called Moser and asked about their tolerances. He bragged about 2-5 thousands.... so I said double that is bad right? Then told him about the bearing rest area. Then the excuses started about how that's really not that bad. He did tell me to send it in. I told him I wanted to have the other axle checked as well while I was at it. So I'll pull it out and let the place up here mic it for me. Then I'll send it all back. :x

I just saw this but i was going to tell you that .005" is generally the max allowed. I bent my old strange axles after a week of street driving and 4 passes at the track. They were out over .025" and the brake disk actually hit the caliper bracket. I put superiors in and have never had a problem. My dad, my buddy Mike and I all bent our strange SS axles and we all went with superiors and none of us have had any issues what-so-ever.

The mosier axles went out after 1500 miles in the 98 cobra, Mosier said its because the axles I bought were not hardened, This is from their kit they sell at summit for the mustang 8.8 (its crap). I ended up with US alloy triple hardened axles (no more problems until my brother totalled the car about 1000 miles later).

I felt very ripped off.
They sell the kit "for mustangs", with their bearings, and when I contacted them they said you need to use our recommended bearings. When I told them I bought the whole mustang kit from summit racing, they then said well the axles need to be hardened. I said WTF are you selling a kit without hardened axles. They promptly hung up on me. If you want pictures of what happened to the axles, I saved them for verification for summit.

So what I bought may NOT be hardened? :( Now I feel a bit ripped off.

Ugh. So Moser calls me after I send the axles back in. First they say nothing is wrong with the second axle. Then he says I bent the first axle. After a lot of circles :bang: I finally ended it all not thrilled in the least.

The good news: My axles are back and in the car (wheels run straight again). The bad news, I'm out $16.46 on the shipping there and $16 to get them back to me. :nonono:

I start to argue the shipping as I was hoping for a refund on my end, as that is what the guy on the phone offered. He went on and on about how much it costs them in labor to straighten the axles :eek: Yes, I said axles

$35 each, so $70 + $35 to repress new lugs. I'm a bit at a loss on the whole thing really. My co-worker was upset more than I was when I put the phone down and she knows nothing about axles and only heard half the conversation. :nonono: :lol:

Apparently, Ken, the guy I called in and spoke to doesn't know much of anything. I asked him if this was an issue to take up with Summit or Moser. He said they would deal with it. Wrong again according to the boss. The guy on the phone said I should have called Summit, but they would have told me there is no warranty so I would have been SOL.

I laughed at him. :rlaugh: I explained with all the money I've spent with them, I think it would have gone down like my headers did. They refunded me the difference to upgrade, they paid for the return shipping on the worthless headers and they overnighted the new ones to me for no additional cost. I told him a $250 order is not going to get them to lose a customer like me. He finally agreed that perhaps I might be correct. ;)

Basically he thought my car was making more HP than it is. :rolleyes: I told him all about the car. I told him what the stock 198,000 mile axles held on the bottle. Whoa, did you say bottle? I explained that yes, I was "getting ready" to run the bottle again. Now all the sudden it got serious. I got a quick lecture on c-clip eliminators. :lol: Where I replied: So you CAN run those on a street car? Oh no.... I wouldn't run those on a street car. So I explained I DRIVE my car. After that it felt like I was in trouble for having too much HP in a street car. :rlaugh: I couldn't help but laugh. They must have some SLOW cars in Indiana. Mine isn't exactly fast in the world of modded vehicles. :p

Anyway, I was down to "pay the shipping" or take a hike kinda attitude. So I'm out the $30-$40 plus the trouble of taking my car apart and putting it back together. Plus the downtime of all the BS. :nonono: They did end up putting new lugs in, but my other lugs were new too. So I consider that a wash.

End result: I won't buy Moser parts again. No sweat off my back. I guess I'll plan to have a trailer at the track on my next visit so I can get home after I bend my "fixed" axles with my monster HP. :lol:

Axles are in, wheels run straight on the car. We'll see how they hold up.

Hardened axles are a no-no on the street. They will be more likely to sheer off due to the tortures of pot hole ridden streets. The twisting motion they can withstand, but vertical pressures exerted on them from street driving breaks them. They actually need to be somewhat elastic. Call any axle manufacturer and they will tell you the same. The trick is to find an axle that has a nice balance between hardness and elasticity. So far in my experience the superior axles have this nailed. Good luck with your new axles and that sucks about moser.

Anyone ever install a full size spool and a Moser C-clip eliminator kit with Moser axles?? Strange also sells a similar kit. I need to make that purchase and I am looking for opinions on a brand with a c-clip kit.