New Obsession; Same As The Old Obsession

1Stang2Go

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2002
CT
Lots of cars and trucks have come and gone in my life over the last 15 years. But the one I've been lucky enough to hang onto has just become my new obsession all over again.
About 4 years ago, I tried to get back into the mustang game. But a career, relationship, and injury all put it on the back burner once again. Many times I thought about selling my beloved 1989 Saleen Mustang but when it came time to pull the trigger, I just couldn't do it. I managed to find a way to come up with the money I needed without selling it...Sold everything else at one point, but not my Fox.
The excitement I felt when the car fired up at first turn of the key on Thursday was like the night I drove the car home when I bought it back in 2001. After a quick run around the block and burnout, I loaded the car up onto a trailer and brought it up to my house.
4 years of grime from the garage was quickly washed off revealing the sparkling pearl white paint that I love.
It is now sitting in my garage just a few feet away at all times and I can work on it whenever I want now.
I think most surprising with this situation is how excited my wife is. I'm not sure what it is because shes never shown much interest in cars. Maybe she sees how happy this all makes me, or maybe shes happy to see I'm stepping away from motorcycles at a time we are trying to start a family. Shes not even mad about all the summit racing, Jegs, and mustang catalogs covering the coffee table. Keeper...
Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there to anyone who may be in a similar boat, either in financial hardship, transitioning into a new phase in life or career, or just too damm busy. You'll get to have your fun again just like I am.
Its good to be back.

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for sharing.
Mine sat meticulously detailed, covered in the garage for 11 (2003 through 2014) years with a cracked block. Had no more gumption to work on it myself, could not afford to have it done right and have lots of other hobbies/sports to occupy my weekends.
Got it running last year. I know how you feel.
Enjoy.

I know how you feel. I bought mine new 22 years ago. Over the years I have thought about selling it, but could not bring myself to do it either. Now it has 183,000 miles on it and is not pretty. I still love it though.

I posted an album of a few pictures. Sadly most of my good ones were on a old laptop that shut off one day and never turned back on.
As far as plans for the car. I'm going to spend the fall and winter getting the suspension and brakes up to par again. New Bilstiens, springs, bushings, brake lines, rotors, pads, and of course, TIRES.
The rear diff looked a little wet as well. think the gasket is toast. All new fluids front to back.
A friend of mine has an e30 M3 (?) wants me to go road autocross and club day racing. So I'm leaning heavily on getting the suspension back up to speed rather than dumping more money into the engine.

The car has had a few different head/cam setups as well as exhaust, shifters, ect. As it sits right now:
GT-40x heads, intake, b-303, 1.7 rockers, accufab 70mm Throttle body and adjustable pressure reg, C&L 76mm MAF, 24# injectors, 190 fuel pump, BBK ceramic coat headers and cat x-pipe, Mac cat back, MSD distributor, coil, and 6AL, aluminum radiator and electric fan, hurst shifter with chrome flat stick, white ball, low boot.
The suspension was returned back to factory with replacement Monroe shocks and struts, that are all well past their prime.
I've been e-mailing maximum motorsports in regard to a new suspension set up.
They have been helpful in determining what will be best.