new owner of 2011 GT and need exhaust help

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on the Magnaflow Magnapacks, the gains you are going to get from an axle back or cat back system are minimal.....maybe 3-5HP IMO. You want gains from an exhaust system, you will have to start from the heads and get LT's, a high flow catted H or X pipe, you would need a tune for this set up so depending on the tune you could be looking at 40-60HP from a complete exhaust system and a good tune.

The Magnapacks are substantially louder than the stock exhaust, they are straight thru type mufflers, they are not obnoxiously loud, but much louder than stock, when I first installed mine (remember I have an 06 GT not the 5.0 so I really dont know how much louder they will be with the 5.0) but when I first installed mine, I was surprised that they were not as loud as I had expected, but after a few weeks of driving, they broke in and did get louder, IMO they sounded perfect, then I installed a Magnaflow Tru X offroad X pipe, now my car is LOUUUUUUD :D.

What's the performance gain on those and are they loud

I had 'packs on my old '01 and they are very loud. You don't have to worry about making conversation with the passenger on the interstate and cell phone calls are almost impossible. It was awesome. :nice::flag:

I'm actually going to go with a full Borla exhaust this time, complete with the ATAK system, which is also extremely loud.

As stated above, don't expect power gains from axle back systems.

I had 'packs on my old '01 and they are very loud. You don't have to worry about making conversation with the passenger on the interstate and cell phone calls are almost impossible. It was awesome. :nice::flag:

I'm actually going to go with a full Borla exhaust this time, complete with the ATAK system, which is also extremely loud.

As stated above, don't expect power gains from axle back systems.

I have the Borla ATAK catbacks with x-pipe and they're not as loud as you'd think. Actually, after you start the car and it idles down then you can't really hear the exhaust anymore and same with cruising. BUT, when you've got the RPM's over about 3K then they come to life and sound amazing. They've got a different sound than any other exhaust I've heard on a new 5.0, and I get compliments everywhere I go on how awesome they sound. I find that my mpg's went down because I keep the car in the power band and downshift just to hear that sweet sound. You will love the ATAK's, but just wanted to say that you can control how loud they are when you want to.
Also, I could feel a little more mid-range power after the install. Add a CAI and tune and you'll be ready to give most anybody a good run.

Not much HP gains that I've seen, but the louder one seem to attract more attention from the cops!:notnice: I'm going with the GT 500 axle back, sounds good and not to much $$

Funny story, there was a motorcycle cop sitting with his back to me in a speed trap on the side of the road. I hadn't noticed him yet, but when he heard my exhaust, he stuck his hand out and made the "slow down" gesture, which I promptly did. No ticket. :nice: Thanks, loud exhaust! :D

Funny story, there was a motorcycle cop sitting with his back to me in a speed trap on the side of the road. I hadn't noticed him yet, but when he heard my exhaust, he stuck his hand out and made the "slow down" gesture, which I promptly did. No ticket. :nice: Thanks, loud exhaust! :D

The motorcycle cops in So. Fla. are pretty much ZERO tolerance, if you get pulled over by one, you ARE getting a ticket, no talking your way out of it 99% of the time.

I was pulled over by one this one time for running a red light, I was in a F250 Spray truck with a 300 gallon water tank (full of water) on the back, it had just finished raining and I was coming off a highway exit (coming downhill) and the light turned red just as I was approaching it (I was going like 40mph) I hit the brakes and started to slide, I had to make a decision in a split second, let off the brakes and go thru the light or keep on the brakes and slide right thru the light, I saw the motorcycle cop sitting there and looked right at him as I was sliding and I kinda put one hand up in the air like saying I cant stop....so I let off the brakes and just went thru the red light, he pulled me over and I explained what had happened and he said yeah, "I saw you look at me like a deer looking into headlights" he let me go and said just be careful LOL.

I just had Steeda's new axle back (made by kooks) put on my 5.0 today and couldn't be happier...the car sounds great, especially at WOT, very very low interior noise and the exhaust itself isn't terribly loud but you can definitely tell it's far from stock