new project car....help me?

Chaos A.D.

Dec 30, 2003
Webster, MA
ok. so i used to have an '04 GT, but was forced to sell it due to financial irresponsibility. but....now i have my hands on a '90 LX nothcback. it's been in a slight accident but runs great! according to the previous owner, the car has Flowtech headers, some kind of aftermarket H with cats, and a Flowmaster AT cat-back. much quiter than the 40s and the o/r pipe i had on my '04, but at least the car passes emissions....

so my questions....i want to turn this into a nice project car. i've always wanted to do it but never seemed to have the funds. now, i don't have to make car payments, and i want to have some fun. i hate sounding like a newbie, but tell me where to start. the exhaust is done for now (though i am unhappy about the Flowtech from all i have read on here). do i go with the upper and lower intake first? heads perhaps? rockers? camshaft? then move on to the TB and MAF? then the ignition and fuel? help.....anyone? i can only do a bit at a time, but i'd love some advice. especially, like what kind of order i should do things in so i don't seriously mess the car up and so that i can feel the small gains i am making. for now, let's assume i'm keeping it NA.

thanks!

joe

• Sponsors (?)

I started with the same situation and went in the following order:

1. Subframe connectors
2. Strut Tower Brace
3. Cold Air Intake
4. Underdrive Pullies
5. Shifter
6. Lowering Kit
7a. Heads
7b. cam
7c. pushrods
7d. rocker arms
7e. intake
7f. throttle body
7g. 190lph+ fuel pump

If I didn't care about gas mileage, I'd throw rear gears in there near the top of the list.

My next steps include 4 lug conversion, brakes, ponies, and turbo install. Fresh paint too. (I'm gonna have fun being broke!).

I suggest putting a master plan to paper, which has a timeline that best allows your funds to meet your goals. Once you have your plan and goals set, then stick to it and dont' stray to much. That will keep you from having a hodge podge of performance parts that do not work well together.

cool. thanks, bro. i'll have to print this out, price it up, and see what i'm looking at. the car was hit on the passenger's side. it isn't toooo bad, and i was assured the frame is still ok, so i might have to get that fixed before i throw in subframes. i'll definitely start there, though.

so you like the turbo over a SC? i'll probably want to do that eventually, but we shall see. depends how long it takes me to get moving on the project. ;) got to get the thing all fixed up first. i'm going to have to take some pics. hahahaha.

thanks again.

so do any of you guys use Craigslist? i went on last night and found someone willing to offer me some parts at an awesome price!!! i don't know if he's registered on here, so i don't want to give him away until i can get my door and fender. hahahahaha. but seriously, a great deal. even found someone selling some AR rims with tires cheap. hell, it's a start. ;) helps me get rid of my bald tires without having to buy brand new ones.

Whats up? Im from Dudley, MA and work at the Lincoln dealership there. What exactly is wrong with your notch or are you just trying to build it up slowly? Im gonna be parting out my 88 LX 5.0 pretty soon once I figure out what Im doing for my new ride. I also have another 5.0 longblock if you know anyone thats in the need.

car runs strong as far as i can tell. definitely needs an alignment and maybe a little suspension work. seems to shake from time to time going down the highway. full exhaust is done for now, though it is kind of quiet, so i might change all that one day. needs a new passanger door and fender. it's been hit on that side. there is a dent toward the frame of the car that will probably have to be pulled out.....

well, it's a start. like i said, it drives great for 800.00. hahahaha. let me know when you part out the car. hell, i'll just walk over and pick the stuff up. hehehehe.

as for what i want? going to have to be a driver for now, but i want a showy driver. don't want to do the gears right off the bat with winter coming, but they will probably be one of the first things i do in the spring. but aside from that, i'm open to all ideas. probably do a piece a month hopefully, depending on cost. some stuff might get done quicker. not sure.

so should i start with the subframes and strut tower or just jump right in and get a new intake or something?

Strut tower brace isnt a "necessity" but if you want it you can get it. Subframes are a must. Gears are a good first upgrade, shifter like stated. I would pick out a pair of heads that you like and base your combo off of that. If not, There are complete nice kits out there like the TFS and Holley kit. The TFS seems to be more popular, and it would put you right around 300 to the wheels. Then you need a TB, Mass air flow, injectors, and fuel pump. Just let us know what ya wanna do :nice: