New rear gears... is there a break in period?

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
Dropping the fox off in the morning to have a set of ford racing 373 gears and all new bearings and clutches installed. When it's done, is there a recommended break in period? Don't want to do a burn out and blow it up.

• Sponsors (?)

I’d think the heat cycle part might be more important than the “500 mile” stipulation. However, I’m not really aware of any instructions when you take delivery of a brand new car that says to limit trips to 20-30 mile intervals to set the wear pattern on the ring and pinion - or run in the bearings.

I would do the break in procedure on the rear end clutch pack though. I believe it’s driving in a figure 8 pattern at lower speeds to wear them in.

With that being said if the rear was set up properly, there really shouldn’t be any problems regardless. I’ve never given my junk a “proper” break in, and never had any issue.

If you’ve got the time, do the break in procedure. A couple heat cycles can’t hurt before flogging it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
We never broke any in at the dealer
The cars and trucks went right the hell back into service
They (new gears) come lapped in and the Ford service parts are supposed to, be a 7 on a scale of 1-10 for noise
The ones that come down the line to assemble cars with can be 1-5 and noisy as hell
Similar to the class of fit with bolts (remember the old inch and a steenth lug nuts for the F250's that took 90 lbs. just to screw them on?)

There's always been a lot of debate on this topic. Many people take them out immediately and do burnouts. Many follow the 500 mile breaking procedure. It seems that the gears that are set up correctly work well no matter which method you follow.

It will be interesting to learn which procedure you follow and how it works out for you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Some gears are more sensitive than others. Depends on who makes the gears.
Personally I never got a set of Richmond gears to be quiet. Every other manufacturer of gears I have had no problem with, Ford, Ford Performance, Yukon, Strange, Eaton ect, ect.
On my racecar, I put the new gears is, car on jackstands, trans in high gears and let it run for 15-20 min.
After that it is off to the race track and have at it.

Reactions: 1 user