New To Site With Electrical Ground Questions.

mhodge06

Jun 5, 2017
MN
I have a 1990 Mustang GT. I have installed a high end stereo system and have some engine bay grounding questions. I have performed the "Big Three" upgrade to these specs:

1. Upgraded Alternator (200A)
2. 1/0GA Alternator to battery + Cable
3. 1/0GA Battery to Engine Block (Replacing existing factory ground wire)

My question is, do I need to upgrade the block to chassis ground? If so, where is it located?

I am running an Optima Yellow Top battery in the stock location. No capacitors in the trunk (Had a bad experience with one smoking out once after 3 years of use and could have burned the car/house down if it happened while I was sleeping). Never used one again. I'm not worried about voltage drops, I don't run it hard often or for long periods of time. My concern is the positive wire from the ignition coil/starter relay area gets VERY hot even though I've upgraded it from the stock wire to an 8GA wire. Like starting to melt the jacket hot. Everything I'm reading tells me grounding issue. It only seems to occur when I run the system hard. I inserted a picture of the wire I'm referring to, a picture of the engine bay, and the equipment I'm running in the back. Along with a gratuitus photo of my "Dog and Pony Show". Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    667.3 KB · Views: 148
  • PonyShow.JPG
    PonyShow.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet.

I like the mustang and the dog!:nice:

I'll move your thread over to our Fox Tech subforum. The guys there will give you a hand.

Good to have you with us.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't tell from the picture so where does that 8GA wire go again? If that's the one that's going to the starter relay, it powers everything electrical in the whole car and is used to start the engine. It should be at least 4GA.

The other ground you are talking about comes off the back of the driver's side head and bolts to the firewall. It should also be upgraded.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes it does go to the starter relay I believe. The funny thing Is that 8GA cable was actually a heavier guage than the one that was there originally? I'll get that upgraded, no problem. Can you clarify the ground statement? You say it "comes off the back of the driver's head". I'm not sure what you're referring to? Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes it does go to the starter relay I believe. The funny thing Is that 8GA cable was actually a heavier guage than the one that was there originally? I'll get that upgraded, no problem. Can you clarify the ground statement? You say it "comes off the back of the driver's head". I'm not sure what you're referring to? Thanks in advance! I really appreciate it!

If you look at your driver's side firewall near the clutch cable/speedo cable area there should be a ground strap bolted to the firewall. The other end of the ground strap bolts to the back of the driver's side cylinder head. It's really hard to see. It should look like this:

Amazon product ASIN B000CO968GView: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-60213-Ground-Straps/dp/B000CO968G

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I'll get on this over the weekend here. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll follow up when complete! Thanks again.