New to the Game - 1966 Mustang

Stork65

Jul 7, 2021
South Carolina
Hi all, I am new to the forum and classic autos.
I am considering purchasing a '66 Mustang in my area. Looked at the car today. Looked pretty free of rust except around the battery area. Drove it too. Guess the power steering and brakes are not the norm either. Here are some pictures. I was not able to find a data plate on the vehicle just the stamped VIN on the driverside fender under the hood. Is this normal for classics? Overall it seemed in good condition just a few cosmetic items inside and the front end.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all, I am new to the forum and classic autos.
I am considering purchasing a '66 Mustang in my area. Looked at the car today. Looked pretty free of rust except around the battery area. Drove it too. Guess the power steering and brakes are not the norm either. Here are some pictures. I was not able to find a data plate on the vehicle just the stamped VIN on the driverside fender under the hood. Is this normal for classics? Overall it seemed in good condition just a few cosmetic items inside and the front end.

There was some leaks underneath too, but I chalk that up to being old. I saw fluid around where the engine and transmission come together.

Attachments

• IMG-1374.jpg
    IMG-1374.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-1375.jpg
    IMG-1375.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-1376.jpg
    IMG-1376.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-1377.jpg
    IMG-1377.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-1378.jpg
    IMG-1378.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-1379.jpg
    IMG-1379.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-1380.jpg
    IMG-1380.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-1381.jpg
    IMG-1381.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-1382.jpg
    IMG-1382.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 67
Thank you for the feedback
Should I be concerned about the only VIN I found was stamped on the driver-side fender under the hood? No door tag/data tag.
Decoding matched the components of the vehicle in I looked at.

Usually there is a warranty tag on the door...but it is just riveted on and is often lost if someone replaces the door at some point and fails to rivet the old plate to the new door...also, the warranty number on that door tag is NOT the actual VIN, its the warranty number(virtually identical to the VIN but has an extra digit in there). The VIN is stamped in 3 places on a 65-66. One is what you see under the hood on the front driver-side fender apron...this one is visible without removing the fender. The next one is stamped into the radiator support(this one is often missing since the radiator support is often replaced. The 3rd one is stamped into the top of the rear passenger-side fender apron...this one is covered by the fender in an assembled car.

Reactions: 1 user
Data tag is on the end of the driver side door but is often missing . The vin number is under the hood along the edge of the fender ,there is also numbers hidden under the fenders .
Oil leaks at the bell housing and motor is usually a leaky transmission seal or rear main seal .although it could be a leaky engine block plug .
Where you will usually find rust is in the floor pans and the under side of the cowl ,battery apron is common .the bottom corners of the doors and lower part of the quarters is also a common place to rust out

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the input!!
Once on the lift, the underbody was pretty clean. The seller told me about repairing the undercarriage. I did not see any rust there after inspecting with a flashlight. Still waiting to hear back the story for the missing data plate on the door. The title matches the VIN stamped on the frame near the fender. I agree that the leak is probably a rear main, I did not see leaks around the block.