New to the group, 64 1/2 Mustang owner

sixfourstang

Jan 31, 2020
Lansing, MI
Hey Everyone

I have a 1964 and a half Mustang. It currently has the 170ci straight 6 and I am looking to bring it up to a 302. Looking for any advice as to what needs to be done as far as proper engine mounts and what conversion kits are good to convert from a 4 lug to 5 lug and disk breaks. I will be searching the forum for further info as well but if anyone could point me in a good direction that would be greatly appreciated. I am new to forums and looking forward to figuring out more about the Mustang community.
Thanks,
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I started the body work and that is it sanded down and etch primed that day. I am slowly going through the panels and making them show car flat. The car is 99% rust free and I plan on doing a color change. I am new to the term "Spirit Mustang" what does that reference? This Mustang is what started my involvement in the Ford realm of cars.

I think the 'spirit' mustang reference was because there are no pics of your stang, there is a 'sprint' edition starting in 66 iirc, it was mostly some chrome stuff though.
You should post some pics here in this thread (of your car not your cat though) and the members here in the classic forums can help you out and cheer you on.

I think the 'spirit' mustang reference was because there are no pics of your stang, there is a 'sprint' edition starting in 66 iirc, it was mostly some chrome stuff though.
You should post some pics here in this thread (of your car not your cat though) and the members here in the classic forums can help you out and cheer you on.

Thank you for the update! Haha that makes sense. I am new to forums as well. I posted some pics in my profile or the media but it makes sense to post in the thread.

DSCN2236.JPG

The 1964 1/2 Mustang is the only original production coupe to adorn the galloping pony. It is the heart of the line and everything which came afterwards is just a modification upon that platform. It is known as the 1964 1/2 because in that same year Ford decided to make the first modification which became the 1965 model. Of course, Ford called this a success and an improvement to the model which would bring it to the masses and compete with other Muscle Cars of the Era. When in fact, it separated the original production Mustang from the rest. This became known as the "Spirit Mustang" because it literally is where the heart of the entire line resides.

We as Mustang owners continue to follow in Fords footsteps and modify our own platform to harness the "Spirit" of the Mustang that is cemented in our own minds and reflected in our creations. In this we follow some weird codes. We complain if someone begins to alter a special edition Mustang. We protested and signed petitions when Ford wanted to eliminate the Solid Rear Axle in all models. We have 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl models where men and women poured themselves into their build to make each faster just because someone said that they would not be successful. We as owners and enthusiasts stood beside our Mustang and watched every other manufacture fall off in the Muscle Car War until only one Stood Tall.

The "Spirit" of the Mustang lives on today through thick and thin. We have seen the Birth of the SVO, Mach I, BOSS, Bullitt, King Cobra, Terminator, Cobra, and the Shelby 500 GT KR. In each of these models lies the same "Spirit" that drives everyone of us to make the most of the model we have. The practical ones who commute with the 4 cylinders, the workhorses who battle rush hour in the V6 and those who have the play toys packing V8s with HP which should not be on the street. This Galloping Pony has had many faces, has had victories and losses, has brought people closer together in communities which would have never formed otherwise. This "Spirit" was born in 1964 as a production line and never ceased.

The 1964 1/2 is most definitely the "Spirit Mustang" and the benchmark to which all models which followed must live up to so each can still wear its same badges.

No Pressure........

Last edited:
The 1964 1/2 Mustang is the only original production coupe to adorn the galloping pony. It is the heart of the line and everything which came afterwards is just a modification upon that platform. It is known as the 1964 1/2 because in that same year Ford decided to make the first modification which became the 1965 model. Of course, Ford called this a success and an improvement to the model which would bring it to the masses and compete with other Muscle Cars of the Era. When in fact, it separated the original production Mustang from the rest. This became known as the "Spirit Mustang" because it literally is where the heart of the entire line resides.

We as Mustang owners continue to follow in Fords footsteps and modify our own platform to harness the "Spirit" of the Mustang that is cemented in our own minds and reflected in our creations. In this we follow some weird codes. We complain if someone begins to alter a special edition Mustang. We protested and signed petitions when Ford wanted to eliminate the Solid Rear Axle in all models. We have 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl models where men and women poured themselves into their build to make each faster just because someone said that they would not be successful. We as owners and enthusiasts stood beside our Mustang and watched every other manufacture fall off in the Muscle Car War until only one Stood Tall.

The "Spirit" of the Mustang lives on today through thick and thin. We have seen the Birth of the SVO, Mach I, BOSS, Bullitt, King Cobra, Terminator, Cobra, and a lady everyone knows as Eleanor. In each of these models lies the same "Spirit" that drives everyone of us to make the most of the model we have. The practical ones who commute with the 4 cylinders, the workhorses who battle rush hour in the V6 and those who have the play toys packing V8s with HP which should not be on the street. This Galloping Pony has had many faces, has had victories and losses, has brought people closer together in communities which would have never formed otherwise. This "Spirit" was born in 1964 as a production line and never ceased.

The 1964 1/2 is most definitely the "Spirit Mustang" and the benchmark to which all models which followed must live up to so each can still wear its same badges.

No Pressure........

I like that very well written. I consider myself a car guy and love the originality of things but at the same time want to make it mine. My goal is to one day hand this car down to my son and he will have a piece of history that he can pass down or sell to get his dream car. I have owned this car since 2006 and have not done much to it but enjoy driving it as a 6 cylinder. After some reliability issues I keep going back to the idea of putting a more modern engine into it but also keep going back to the idea that it is original. I don't believe that it is mint as number matching but it does match the build sheet. Thank you for your response, its an encouragement and I look forward to posting more as I continue on this build

The "Spirit" of the Mustang lives on today through thick and thin. We have seen the Birth of the SVO, Mach I, BOSS, Bullitt, King Cobra, Terminator, Cobra, and a lady everyone knows as Eleanor. In each of these models lies the same "Spirit" that drives everyone of us to make the most of the model we have. The practical ones who commute with the 4 cylinders, the workhorses who battle rush hour in the V6 and those who have the play toys packing V8s with HP which should not be on the street. This Galloping Pony has had many faces, has had victories and losses, has brought people closer together in communities which would have never formed otherwise. This "Spirit" was born in 1964 as a production line and never ceased.

No Pressure........
Great speech, I will take exception to including the 'Eleanor ' mustang, just another stuck up 'star car'. Just my opinion though.