New To The Group, Still Looking For My Stang.

Jim Owens

Jan 23, 2017
Hi Group,

I am NOT new to forums, I am on many. I am currently saving up to get a 71 Mach 1. I have always loved these ugly ducklings since they first came out in the 70's. Now that I am old as dirt, I can finally add one to my stable.

I am looking for some information about these cars, as I have ZERO specific knowledge about these vintage Mustangs. I do, However, Know ALOT about OBD1 Fords. I have a 94 Bronco I have rebuilt from ground up and am just about finished with it. So I have a few Questions for those of you who have one of these cars.

1.) What are the major weakness's of this model?
2.) What idiot lights does this car have?
3.) What are the parts availability like in general? Is there anything needed that no one makes.
4.) What does a paint job typically cost if the body is rust free and has a half way decent paint job on it already.
5.) What are the most worthwhile upgrades? Rack & Pinion? Coil Over? 4 Link rear?
6.) Was Power Brakes an Option? Or did they all come with Manual Brakes?
7.) What is a Sport Roof car? Is that without the louvers and wing?

So I have spotted a car for sale locally for a fairly reasonable price. Its fully funcitonal, paint is in OK condition. It has a couple of minor trouble spots where the roof was repaired with Lead probably 15-20 years ago and its starting to oxidize under the paint. The engine is a 351C. It originally had a 302, but was swapped at some point. Engine is very clean, no signs of any leaks. It has long tube headers already and glass packs. They look pretty old, but are in decent condition. It drives pretty good, but has manual steering and manual drum brakes, and NO A/C. I am pretty familiar with the brake upgrade, A/C conversion, and Power Steering upgrade, so those arent a problem. It has a C6 transmission. The underside looks pretty nasty, but it is a driver not a show car.

Looking at the price of upgrading brakes, A/C, and Power Steering, I am looking at about $3500. I just dont know if this car is worth it. So I am still looking. Maybe I will find one with at least A/C.

So my plan is, to just make sure everything works as it is, fix what crops up after driving it a while. Eventually, I would like to blast it or have it dipped, and do a full paint job on it, Rack and Pinion Upgrade, Coil Overs, 4 link Fab9 rear, Coyote Swap, with 6R80 trans. But before I get to that point, I want to live with it like it is for a few years and work on the suspension bit by bit.

For the coyote swap, do they make conversion motor mounts that bolt to the stock location? Or do you have to get a new complete front cross member/suspension unit like the Rod and Custom Coil over/rack and pinion kit.
rck107mp-v_1.2268.jpg

If you have to go this route, thats fine, I just dont want to do any other upgrades that I will have to do again later on.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome. There are many guys on here who can help you. I'm more familiar with earlier models. A guy named @horse sence will probly be one of the first to help you. He has a vast knowledge (and collection) of stangs and even makes some hard to get parts. Hope to see some pics from your adventure.