New to the Stang Family

I am going to be pulling the motor on my 88’ foxbody, due to work that needs to be done to the strut towers. I am going to put in gt40x heads, and changing all the seals while the engine is out. I’m going to use the fel-pro 9333 pt1 head gaskets. Does anyone know if they have a left side or right side orientation for these gaskets? Also what kind of head bolt kit should I get since I believe the gt40x heads are 1/2” and the block is 7/16. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Those head gaskets are universal as far as which side, but if I remember right they are marked “front” indicating which end needs to face toward the front of the engine. So as long as you pay attention to that, it doesn’t matter which side they go on.

As far as the head bolts, get 7/16 bolts, and there are spacers that fit over the bolt into the heads to make everything snug.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400419/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Those head gaskets are universal as far as which side, but if I remember right they are marked “front” indicating which end needs to face toward the front of the engine. So as long as you pay attention to that, it doesn’t matter which side they go on.

As far as the head bolts, get 7/16 bolts, and there are spacers that fit over the bolt into the heads to make everything snug.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400419/
Thanks for the response Blue Stallion! I also want to add a on 3 turbo kit to my setup. You think I should wait or go for it while the engine is out?

I had the engine shop make the bolt holes in the block 1/2 inch on a previous engine. The bigger the bolt or stud the more clamping force. You probably would never stretch a 7/16 ARP stud with normal use. Maybe not needed...but for people that know it's real cool to look at the head below the headers and see 1/2 studs....makes 7/16 look little.

I had the engine shop make the bolt holes in the block 1/2 inch on a previous engine. The bigger the bolt or stud the more clamping force. You probably would never stretch a 7/16 ARP stud with normal use. Maybe not needed...but for people that know it's real cool to look at the head below the headers and see 1/2 studs....makes 7/16 look little.
Cool, thanks for the idea 90sickfox!

Thanks for the response Blue Stallion! I also want to add a on 3 turbo kit to my setup. You think I should wait or go for it while the engine is out?

I’ve never installed that kit personally. I would guess the only part that may be easier to do while the engine is out is bolting the headers on. The rest I would think you would want the engine in place to test fit and adjust as you go.

Even though I’m not the best at following the rule, I try to do one big project at a time. Otherwise the car ends up in permanent project status and you never get any driving enjoyment out of it. Get your strut towers handled, then engine back in, and enjoy while you plan your next mod.

Even though I’m not the best at following the rule, I try to do one big project at a time. Otherwise the car ends up in permanent project status and you never get any driving enjoyment out of it. Get your strut towers handled, then engine back in, and enjoy while you plan your next mod.
That’s true. I appreciate the advice. I will keep you posted as I fix the towers and so on. Thanks again