newbee needs help

moedaman

Jun 11, 2009
:shrug: First off my pops and i just got our hands on a 68 coupe and i have some questions for you folks, well here ya go.. 1 What modifcations needs to be done to put a big block in?2 What company has the best prices on resto parts. 3 last question for now where can i go to run the numbers on our car? i went to a web site and decoded some stuff but i want to know more about our car, and in you folks opinion what is hands down the most dependable Ford motor.. Thanks and who is from Tennessee Later

• Sponsors (?)

1 What modifcations needs to be done to put a big block in?

Assuming V8 now, you'll need to replace engine, engine wiring, upper motor mounts, motor mount insulators, modify the engine mount brackets, replace the radiator, replace the trans mission, modify the driveshaft, replace the exhaust system, and replace the 8" rear axle with a 9" rear axle. The BB cars also had bigger brakes, or the optional disc brakes, so they could stop. Other stuff too…

2 What company has the best prices on resto parts.

There is no one company. Different suppliers have different deals with the manufacturers. Also, there is more than one source for many parts, for example, you can get really cheap antennas that look identical to expensive antennas in catalog photos. Some vendors, such as Glazier's, either won't sell the crappy one, or they'll tell you the difference. Others go strictly by price.

3 last question for now where can i go to run the numbers on our car?

If you have the original warranty tag on the LH door you can learn a lot. Any more than that, you might have a "buck" tag under the hood on the fender apron, you can learn even more there. More than that, you'll have to buy a copy of the original invoice from Kevin Marti.

How deep are your pockets?
Big block power isn't cheap. Big block conversion isn't cheap.

Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?

Reliable Ford Motor? As the performance mods increase, so do the opportunities for parts to fail.

There are a lot of options today that weren't availalble ten years ago. I'm going to guess that your dad is about my age or so, (I'm 44) Stroker kits, aluminum heads, roller blocks, NOS, all things that were outrageously expensive not too long ago.

You might try looking into a stroked 351W, for the best of both worlds...

First off, what engine's in it now ? 6 banger or a small block? If it's a small block, forget the big block and either go with a stroker Windsor or Cleveland. Everything will bolt in with what it's got now. With a big block, everything's got to be changed.

holy cow

Thanks guys and sir my dad is 53 he got to grow up with real cars, after i tell him what you guys said he might change his mind about th BB the stroked opition sounds great