next upgrade I am cheap

motocrossed733

Aug 16, 2007
Here is the deal 88 Gt vert 5 speed converted to mass air BBk underdrive pulleys BBk cold air intake I am wondering what my next mod should be? I am cheap and want the biggest bang for the buck I would love some of you guys suggestions, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Heads or gears. Unless your very mechanical I'd suggest paying someone else to do the gears... obviously you can handle the heads. I have 3.73 and am pretty happy with them, 4.11 will also work if you don't do much hiway driving.

Consider gears as a mathmatical equation, affecting the leverage your car has (actually your engine). If you change from 2.72 to 3.73 you get a 37% increase in torque. 250 ft/lb + 37% = 342 ft/lb or torque. Not bad. You also get a 37% increaes in RPM at any given speed. Thats what overdrive is for, right? I'm not sure what the stock ratio or TQ is so these # might be a bit off. In my opinion gears are the biggest improvement you can make to a near stock vehicle. After gears all your other mods make just that much more improvement (say, 37%?)

Edit..

Oh yeah... check out weight reduction. Theres a ratio, I think it's like 7# rotating mass = 1hp (tires, rims, flywheel etc) and maybe 15# static = 1hp ( spare tire, hood, seats, interior etc). Those are #'s I'm trying to recall from years ago building snowmachines and I've allready had a few to drink so check somewhere if you want specifics. Some static weight savings is free, a good place to start. Not as significant in a car but on a sled a great place to start is getting in shape and loosing the beer belly!

gears are the best bang for the buck.... around $600 with gears installed
play with timing
t/b
explorer intake(i got mine for $175 plus gaskets, oil, coolant)
typhoon intake (plus gaskets, oil, coolant)
header back exhaust
thumper ported e7's

just some ideas. all can be done really cheap u just have to hunt around

Heads or gears. Unless your very mechanical I'd suggest paying someone else to do the gears... obviously you can handle the heads. I have 3.73 and am pretty happy with them, 4.11 will also work if you don't do much hiway driving.

Consider gears as a mathmatical equation, affecting the leverage your car has (actually your engine). If you change from 2.72 to 3.73 you get a 37% increase in torque. 250 ft/lb + 37% = 342 ft/lb or torque. Not bad. You also get a 37% increaes in RPM at any given speed. Thats what overdrive is for, right? I'm not sure what the stock ratio or TQ is so these # might be a bit off. In my opinion gears are the biggest improvement you can make to a near stock vehicle. After gears all your other mods make just that much more improvement (say, 37%?)

Edit..

Oh yeah... check out weight reduction. Theres a ratio, I think it's like 7# rotating mass = 1hp (tires, rims, flywheel etc) and maybe 15# static = 1hp ( spare tire, hood, seats, interior etc). Those are #'s I'm trying to recall from years ago building snowmachines and I've allready had a few to drink so check somewhere if you want specifics. Some static weight savings is free, a good place to start. Not as significant in a car but on a sled a great place to start is getting in shape and loosing the beer belly!

I'm sorry, do you mean heads or headers? I'm pretty sure he's saying he's on a limited budget, so I think heads would probably be out of the question at this point. Unless of course he's pullin the GT40s off at the same time he's pullin the intake off of an explorer. Either way, I believe gears is the unanimous vote here, so hook 'em up, and let er rip. :nice:

If you have an air compressor and some air tools. you can port your lower intake for a nice hit - my website has a do-it-yourself article in the Tech section. Gears and a new 2.5" exhaust system are not cheap but should be hitgh on your list.

I'm sorry, do you mean heads or headers? I'm pretty sure he's saying he's on a limited budget, so I think heads would probably be out of the question at this point. Unless of course he's pullin the GT40s off at the same time he's pullin the intake off of an explorer. Either way, I believe gears is the unanimous vote here, so hook 'em up, and let er rip. :nice:

well, he said he wanted the best 'bang for the buck' ratio, and he was cheap, not broke. I'm willing to spend more money if I feel there will be less money wasted.

Also forgot to mention...

motocrossed733 said:
full posi or limited slip

posi=positraction, just slang for a trade name, it's still a limited slip differential. Maybe your refering to a locker or spool? Unless your exclusivly drag racing I'd stick with a posi, you can get some service from reclutching your original one (if you have one) but you'll see more performance from an aftermarket unit. I like auburn, but theres other good ones to choose from.

Gears plus install would be about 500-600 bucks. That is the biggest bang for your buck.

Headers, H pipe and Flowmasters, would cost more if you do all at once, but this would be the next big gain.

How about a fresh tune up replacing everything? That will cost maybe a little over 100 bucks. I noticed a big gain when I did this to my notchback. 140K 5.0L