NMRA or NHRA or any racer i need info

brands5.0

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2001
miami ,florida
I am starting the build up on my new coupe. I am trying to come up with an engine combo that putts me in a good class with ether NMRA or NHRA. I don't have a 50K budget but I have enough to put together a fast car I think. What class would you recommend? I would like to go with a 351 carbed based n20 motor. But ill hear all sides

I would appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction!!

Thank you Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO I would not start out with a 351. You'll be running with the big dogs b/c boosted engines have a limit of 360 CID and n/a cars have a limit of 415 CID. You'd be dumping a ton of money in the car. If you really want to go Windsor based go with EFI Renegade. You can have the max displacement 360 CID. I strongly recomend something like Factory Stock....especially if you have no prior racing experence. The you can work your way up in the classes. I have a good friend of mine that has done IMCA now for years. He totally kicked ass in Hobby Stock now he moved his way up to Modified and is getting his ass kicked. You can find out more specific info on classes at NMRAracing.com.

Hope it helps

Mike

Well if you want a 351W with N2O you can go Renegade (top guys in the high 8's), Drag Radial (mid 8's right now, low 8'd by season end) or Outlaw (high to mid 7's)

Now here is something to keep in mind, starting next year any car that is going 8.50 or 180mph up to 3600lbs, stock floor and firewall will need to have a 25.5 sfi spec chassis. I am in the middle of doing mine, most shops charge $5000+ to build one.

You'll put $15,000 in the motor easy if you want a motor that will hold up to the abuse and live to tell about it. Another $1500-2500 in suspension and rear end, $1000+ in the fuel system. Then you have all the rest, no including a $1000+ worth of saftey stuff needed for those ET's.

I agree with the last 2 posts, start off small. I am getting my roots based in factory Stock and then plan to move into Real Street. I would suggest looking into the NMRAs three slower classes, Real Street (high 9s with non strokers, power adders, and manual trannies) Pure Street (Mid 10s with non strokers, NA, and Manual/Auto) or Factory Stock (high 11s with non strokers, NA, and Manual/Auto). These are the easiest classes and the cheapest, yet will set you back a large chunk of change to run anything competetive!

If it sounds like NMRA is not going to be your cup of tea, check out NHRA. You can run super street (10.90 index) or super gas (9.90 index) with any size motor. Turbo and SC are legal, but nitrous is only legal in promod.

If you win SS or SG, it is enough to get some good money and your name/picture in the dragster.

Main safety equip is going be roll bar, driveshaft loop, c-clim elims, and proper clothing.

Or you could just bracket race at your local track for the points.

It gets expensive very quickly.

25thmustang, can you give me some more info on factory stock class? Do you run at all events? What does it take to compete in the class? What kind of HP are these cars putting out? Is there a cross over class into the NHRA?

Thanks Brandon

You still will dump a good bit of money into a Factory Stock car if you want to be in the mix... Cars are going 11.7's (will be quicker as the year goes on) and I have heard 340RWHP.

As far as Factory Stock I dont run the NMRA yet. I was going to try and make a few races, but I have long tube headers and dont have a set of Drag radials. I race with a group called the MHRA who race up in New York. Right now our class has moved into the low 12s with a showing in the NMRA also.

Your best bet is to go to www.stangcrazy.com or www.nmraracing.com and take a look at the rule book. The class is very limited but it will still cost a good bit to be competetive. The top guys are in the 11s consistently now, and to be into the quarter or semi finals your going to need a 12.0 or close!