No crank, No Start condition on 96 Mustang GT 8 CYL 4.6L Manual Trans

This problem is intermittent, it does not happen all the time. I press in the clutch, turn the key to start, dashboard lights come on, anti-theft light blinks off, all dash is normal, but car does not crank. I do not hear click(s) from relay/solenoid/starter - it's like a dead battery but dash is lit up. I do hear fuel pump cycle on, other than that, nothing. Battery is good, connections are clean. Switched Relay with another one I knew was good. Sometimes it starts and I drive around awhile with no problem. I can shut it off and come back and it starts right up. Other times I Park and turn off and when I go to start car, nothing happens. If I try to restart immediately, it will crank and turn over and start. If I wait awhile before starting it, sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. Last 3 days could not get it to start, even when I jumped car with battery cables. After 3 days, it started right up again. Any idea what is causing this on a 96 Mustang GT 8 Cylinder 4.6L with manual transmission? If its still starting and running sometimes, does that mean the starter, fuel pump, alternator, and fuel injectors are ok?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Let me hit up a member for some help. @74stang2togo
I will add that you likely need to locate the starter safety switch, it maybe on the clutch peddle but that is just a guess and something I would look for given your problem description.
You're probably on the right track.

I'd check all the related connections to make sure they're tight, and look for the clutch safety switch (probably on the pedal, I'll check Mitchell when I get to the shop) and see if bypassing it doesn't eliminate the problem (if it does, replace it).

Reactions: 1 user
checking in with results. It was a loose wire on the solenoid. It was making intermittent contact. Also confirming that the safety switch is on the clutch pedal. We checked that too. Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Reactions: 1 user