No egr valve?!?

Had the car for about 2 months now and am still finding new things out about it (in a good way)!

I noticed the old owner took out the egr valve for more power im assuming. My question is how much power do those thing trap, I am not familiar with this mod and wouldn't expect to much rescued hp from this.
ALSO
why does my plenum have that funky bolt sticking out of it?

thanks!
-chris

37d8bc59.jpg

5868f3f1.jpg

Attachments

• 37d8bc59.jpg
    37d8bc59.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 5868f3f1.jpg
    5868f3f1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

Thats the old bolt to the old EGR I believe. As for power it frees up i'm not sure. But i'd imagine it would cause cold start and/or emissions problems not having one. Probably not that you care though :)

mine will be deleted on the new engine.

whats it really good for anyways?

It does a couple of things.

(1) it greatly craps up the inside of the intake when the raw (and hot) exhaust gasses are recirculated. Why do you think the inside of the intake gets so gunky? PVC introduces crankcase blow-by and the egr bakes that on. :) It also displaces air, but it should not be open all the time and won't affect top-end power much at all.

(2) it reduces emissions. most hot-rodders could give a rip about that of course. :)

It helps with part throttle ping/detonation resistance. Tuners pull a little part throttle timing with cars that have a deleted EGR, since the gases that help prevent detonation are no longer there. You will loose a little part throttle power and milage out of it, but nothing major.

it is disabled @ WOT, so there is 0RWHP gain from it.

I was set on doing this mod in the past, and then was talked out of it for those reasons, and the fact that I may fail inspection with it missing.