no headlights yet flash to pass works?

jcgafford

10 Year Member
Jan 7, 2012
Adrian, MI
So I have been chasing down multiple little things and have gotten great help here along the way. So with this new problem I did as much as I could without asking and still am without an answer so here it is Help! (again). My headlights do not come on. Neither in the regular running position or brights. Pull back on the wiper stick for flash to pass and there they are. Pulled the headlight/foglight switch and tried to "jump" it to see if that was bad and it did not go very well, i stopped before the shock. All other lights work interior and exterior minus the fogs which appear to be just burnt out. An direction? Also while fixing another problem i cleaned the large wire harness/clip under the steering wheel that was not allowing power to my heater/ac fan, vert top and a few other things. They all work now and i am unsure if this needs to be relooked at. Any advice is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

went out again to double check everything and pulled the dash apart. everything tight. has to be the switch. anyone know what to do to "jump" the headlights off the harness to prove the switch is the culprit? rather prove it is the switch before buying a new one.

When my '87 did this, it was the head / fog light switch. Got overheated and melted the switch and the connector.

Got tired of this 20 years ago, so yanked out the fog lights and installed a Texas Turbo Ram Air. :nice: Anyone remember them?

multifunction switch is the culprit trust me went through all the head ache for that freaking swtich and you have to find one for your year. 87-89, 90-93 are different
This x's a billion.

If your driving a 87-89 you can buy a used switch and have the problem again in a couple of year, OR you can grab your ankles and buy a new one. The price has gone up almost threefold since I bought mine about 4 years ago.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SW2443/87-89-Mustang-Turn-Signal-Lever-Assembly

I think the 90-93's can still be picked up at the parts store fairly reasonable.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13359B/1990-93-Mustang-Turn-Signal-Lever-Assembly

Alright so now i am confused. I think there are two different parts being recommended here and in other related threads. The actual fog/headlight switch located to the left and top of the steering wheel and then the switch that is built into the wiper arm. This is my first day off so i have not touched it and have bought no new parts yet. While reading replys and other threads I came to the conclusion that if flash to pass worked it "cleared" the wiper arm switch (mf?) of malfunction and pointed to the headlight foglight switch. Is this not the case?

My kids birthday party is tomorrow so I got black balled on working on the car... Did however stop at advanced auto parts just to see if they carried any of these parts. They carry the MF or turn signal assembly! 113 bucks! They called autozone for the headlight switch and they had it in stock for 36 bucks! So either way they are an easy part to get. We shall see which one it is.

in fact i just added the actual headlight switch with fogs and the "MFS" to the cart, hit it with a coupon code and both delivered to my house are $101.98 with free shipping. didn't pull the trigger on it, going to try each individually first.

That price aint bad. If it is the MFS you'd be doing yourself a favor to buy a new one and passing on the urge to buy used. I could have bought a new one for what i spent on used ones. check to see what you need first though.