no oil pressure HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am having pretty much the same problem as you man. I took my car out last week, which is pretty much all stock and realized that I had no oil pressure at idle. When I was driving though it seemed perfectly normal. I have autometer gauges, but don't have the senders, so I went to a parts store and ordered senders. Does anyone have any idea if this is common with the gauge and the autometer gauge should fix this problem? Hopefully the sender will come in this week and I can hook up the gauge, cause I am way to scared to drive my car right now.

After I got back home with the no oil pressure at idle, I filled her up with oil, and it raised the pressure a little bit, but not where it should be up to. Anywya I bought more oil to do an oil change, but am waiting till I get the senders. Can anyone help me out here?

Putnam88...what did you do to cure your problem? I just bought the car a month ago, and have barely put any miles on it. I know the owner previously had problems with the gauges, but this just sucks.

try a heavier weight of oil and note the change.

an engine can run well and have bearings starting to get too worn.
alot of engines run their BEST (power wise) before they decide to knock. with worn bearings, not as tight clearences and the crank can spin faster and more easily. then they start knocking then you know its time to tear it apart.

130k is a decent amount of miles, alot of cars dont usually have problems by that time but mustangs are beat on alot. so its hard to say. you cant really go by mileage....

Yes, I have smelled my oil, at didn't smell any fuel at all. I'm really hoping that it is just the gauge messing up, but I know with my luck it is going to be my bearings being shot.

I just think that because after I topped it off with oil the pressure went up slightly. If the gauge was bad, it probably wouldn't notice this at all would it?

If you're not using a mechanical oil pressure gauge I wouldn't 100% trust it at all. They Suck....n yeah I've heard about them with bad grounds making them go crazy.

At idle (warm) 30+ psi is good, cruising 55+psi is good.
Last year I had 10psi at a warm idle(with 20W50 too lol),went to 8psi a few times I drove it for a year like that. When I did the motor swap I tore it apart all the main bearings were PURE copper.

My friend went through a real bad oil pressure problem with a mechanical gauge, it was pissing him off since he couldn't find out what it was.....After his second engine pull he found his oil pump pickup had a little crack in it so it was sucking up air and wasn't building full oil pressure.

I'm sorry I don't really understand Black1987Stang what you mean by your bearings were pure copper? Is that good or bad?

My gauges are electric, so does this mean taht they will be pretty bad, or will they be reliable? Thank you for all the help guys!

Jacob

Yup time for a new bottom end if its not toast yet. Same thing happened to me had to get a whole new block, crank, and pistons because my crank was scored. It was easier than putting a new crank in and having everything balanced. I would stop driving it imediatly and check your bearings. so you dont have to get a new crank. My bearings looked like pennies when i took them out becuase i continued to drive it.

Man this sounds like it is gonna be bad. Plus I have no real experience with this at all. Kinda sucks, but I guess I gotta learn sonner or later. I actually just bought this car so that I could bring my son home from the hospital in, and restore it with him and give it to him when he is like 18-20. Really sucks because the wife is due in September and I won't have the car fixed by then. So I am praying that it is just the gauge all messed up, but I know it isn't. If it is more serious, I am probably just gonna let the car sit, and make a one time trip to the hospital to pick my son up and drive him home, then start working on it after that. My luck just sucks!

I'm sorry I don't really understand Black1987Stang what you mean by your bearings were pure copper? Is that good or bad?

My gauges are electric, so does this mean taht they will be pretty bad, or will they be reliable? Thank you for all the help guys!

Jacob

Yeah, just like what snoboardcore said too..... but bearings are made from copper and another material babbit (prob more but idk what else). Babbit is the grey part of the bearing you see on a new one, copper is under that. It was so worn that all the copper was showing, meaning it was so worn the clearances were so far apart the oil would just slide right out. when it should be building up pressure from tighter clearances.

I prefer Mechanical gauges, not saying yours aren't accurate but with something that important I want to be as accurate as I can. If you still think it's a gauge problem just hook up a mechanical to verify the pressure is real low as it is, then you'll know for sure.