Noise From Rear End When Braking

interceptor7

Aug 11, 2006
Just a rundown of related items in the rear axle: I recently did a 5-lug conversion, using used Aerostar axles (they looked fine on the bearing surface), and drums. I changed the bearings and seals, and the drums were turned. I did not change the shoes, since they were relatively new.

I'm getting a "thunk" -ing noise on the driver's side rear brake area whenever I brake. The frequency (rhythm?) varies with wheel speed. I've tested about every combination of braking/slowing down, etc. The noise only comes when I brake. Starngely, I put the rear end up on jack stands, accelerated and pressed the brakes, and at that point it did not make the noise. This would seem to indicate that it may have to do with the normal weight transfer that occurs when you brake, except that I've tried it at very low speeds and very low pedal pressure, and it still makes the noise.

This weekend I'm planning on changing the brake cylinders and shoes to see if that fixes it, and just to take a general look around the components, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Place a dab of grease between the contact points where the shoes rub against the backing plate, and knock off the ridge of rust that's probably built up on the inboard portion of the inside of the drum.