Noob question on intake gaskets

doctorj357

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
So I decided to year down my intake manifold on my 95 because I suspected a leak or two. That + plus I didn't have a lot of confidence in the prior owners putting it back together right. Glad I did cause I found out that the etc they used leaked. I got a mess to clean up but it's manageable.

On my engine I have the older Edelbrock Performer RPM EFI intake and Performer heads (1.90 valve). I ordered a set of new Edelbrock intake gaskets and the right rtv. Also read online how to do this and seems pretty straight forward, except with regards to the EGR inserts. I can't find any direction how these need to be used.

Now I still run my EGR. On my lower intake it has one port - center on top - that runs to the passenger side. Both heads are provisioned and that passage runs directly to the port on the passenger side head. So for my gaskets, do I put the insert with hole on the passenger side and the solid (no hole) on the driver's side to keep it blocked off?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Sometimes easier to describe with pictures. So if my lower intake only has one passage for the EGR leading to the passenger head, then I block off the other (drivers side) head like pictured?

A2o5QSt.jpg

tiJCbzV.jpg

jzElme7.jpg

4nkQ5f3.jpg

JlNak1j.jpg

54pVeWL.jpg

pxMb5Av.jpg

Might be drunk too....lol. But I think I figured it out today. The throttle body spacer specific for 94/95 only, blocks off the port for egr gasses on the upper intake. If I had a 86-93, it would be a different spacer that would make use of that port. So it largely has to do with the EGR design differences between 86-93 vs 94/95

xz9xrjs.jpg

Now realizing its blocked a the TB adapter/elbow like shown above, figured there's no sense in allowing it to flow from either end. So I just blocked off the egr ports on both heads at the intake runner gasket. The EGR will still flow into the intake, but will just use the main bore to flow into the 8 runners from top - > down.

Gonna find out tonight if it was in vain or not

Now realizing its blocked a the TB adapter/elbow like shown above, figured there's no sense in allowing it to flow from either end. So I just blocked off the egr ports on both heads at the intake runner gasket. The EGR will still flow into the intake, but will just use the main bore to flow into the 8 runners from top - > down.

Gonna find out tonight if it was in vain or not

Methinks that will cause issues.

Why do you think that? Not saying it won't, I just don't see how anything really changes here.

Before with the cutout inserted in the gasket on the passenger head, exhaust could travel thru the port on the lower but would be blocked once it got to the elbow adapter attached on the upper. Only difference now, with the block off gasket inserted on the passenger side head at the runner, its blocking it at both ends.

So IMHO it shouldn't do anything different. Other than maybe not foul up that port in the lower/upper intake now since its sealed on both ends.

The 94/95 Mustang does not feed the exhaust gas through the intake like the 93'-. All those ports in the heads should be blocked. The EGR is fed exhaust from an external tube that leads up from one of the primary exhaust tubes on the exhaust header on the passenger side of the car. Is that tube still present?

Kurt

So late reply here, but yes I have the EGR tube on the exhaust manifold. Before I put the upper back on, I ended up blocking it off on both heads. EGR is passing gas from the manifold & directly through the intake elbow down into the combustion chambers. Seems to be running just fine.

So late reply here, but yes I have the EGR tube on the exhaust manifold. Before I put the upper back on, I ended up blocking it off on both heads. EGR is passing gas from the manifold & directly through the intake elbow down into the combustion chambers. Seems to be running just fine.

You blocked off the holes on the back of the heads for the air tube.. and are still running the egr??