odd ball smog pump part

aar0s

Founding Member
Dec 20, 1998
the part (looks kinda like a valve) that screws into the crossover tube on one end and has the rubber hose coming from the smog pump on the other. Its the part thats always in the way when your changing the number 4 plug. Mine has a crack on the rubber hose side and im thinking thats causing some kind of leak giving me an intermittent stutter and backfire. Is there any vacuum or some way this could give a lean condition in the exhaust causing the backfire?
no egr codes or any codes are showing.

• Sponsors (?)

damnit, just realized that i posted this in the 94-95 tech and not the fox tech, but this is on my 88, im guessing the plumbing is mostly the same though.

Pretty much identical on both cars. I'm sure it can cause a number of problems. All that stuff is vacuum actuated, so that crack could cause a vacuum leak that could mess with things. There is a vacuum control solenoid that opens and shuts those valves. So it probably causes a problem when the vacuum solenoid opens up causing a vacuum leak in the system.

Kurt

seems like i can hear a tick tick tick from the passenger side from time to time when im pulling away from a stop sign, I bet thats opening up an exhaust leak through that valve.

I dont think that my horn has anything to do with this problem, but i guess i can start there if you think it will help! :D

good advice though. thanks for your help! you wouldn't know the name of that part by chance would ya?
Ive seen them for sale on ebay for like 15 bucks new but cant remember the name so i can look them up again.

Exhaust check valve or crossover valve

37.jpg

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 77