odd creak/grind type noise from front end 01 GT

Kraw

Nail On The Head El Moderatoro
Founding Member
So, I've noticed a sort of quick pop, or short grind sound from the front of the car when I back out of the garage and turn. Doesn't seem to happen any other time, or after the car "warms up". This morning, I had it parked out side, and when I backed up (in the 30's) it did an extended creak/grind sound. It had me concerned

I had the ball joints replaced about 15 or 20k miles ago. It has 95k miles now. I've noticed a slight vibration in the front end at certain speeds when the wheel is turned slightly. I'm thinking bearings? I know the vibration could be from the tires (Nitto 555 with about 54k miles on them) as they are old and need to be replaced, and haven't been rotated in nearly 2 years! They were balanced during the summer to cure a vibration.

So, could it be bearings? I've read some other posts on rack and pinion issues, but not sure how to diagnose that. It only happens at full turn, usually backing up to the right. If bearings, are they hard to replace? I've changed them out on truck before, but never a car. I've changed out the calipers and rotors myself, so I'm somewhat familiar with that end of the car. I would rather pay to have it done, but our dealer tends to charge $400 for just about anything they do :mad:

• Sponsors (?)