Odd Noise Coming From Front Of Car...

5literPwr

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
I have an odd noise that appears to be coming from the front of my car in the general area of the front right wheel area that I am hoping someone may help me pinpoint what the problem is before I replace everything up there.

The sound in particular is difficult to describe so I will just say that when I first heard it, I thought that it was someone in the distance blowing their horn at me. It is a very strange moaning/groaning that I cannot describe any more clearly so my apologies if my description makes it hard to diagnose here. The sound seems to be at its loudest when making a left turn (and not a sharp turn but a normal wide turn). I am pretty sure it makes a humming/groaning/moaning sound sometimes while going straight, but it acts up the worst during left turns it seems.

Is this a typical sign of an ABS (anti-lock brake system) failure or issue? Having owned only Fox mustangs for the last couple decades, I am fairly new to the technologies of ABS, (LOL at myself). I will check to make sure all of my fluids are at full levels, but in the meantime, if anyone can let me know if this sounds like an ABS issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

This is classic wheel bearing failure indication: When you make a left turn the inner bearing on the right (passenger side) is heavily loaded as the spindle tries to push its way through the hub.

Get the wheel off the ground with a jack and check for play and roughness when the wheel is rotated. Most likely you're in for a hub replacement:

1994-04 Mustang Front Hub Assembly with Abs Ring at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I haven't gotten the chance to take the wheel off and look it over yet, but if it is a bad wheel bearing, do I need to get a new front hub assembly or just a wheel bearing? Would a bad bearing that is making quite a bit of noise very likely to have ruined my hub assembly in which getting a new one is a necessity? And does anyone know if the hub assembly, such as the one in that link, would typically already include the wheel bearing in it?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I haven't gotten the chance to take the wheel off and look it over yet, but if it is a bad wheel bearing, do I need to get a new front hub assembly or just a wheel bearing?

You may be able to find the bearing itself but (a) you'd need a press to replace the bearing in the hub and (b) most parts sources simply sell the hub for less than $70. It's a no-brainer to just go for the replacement hub.

Would a bad bearing that is making quite a bit of noise very likely to have ruined my hub assembly in which getting a new one is a necessity?

Replacing the hub is simply the service procedure for a bad front wheel bearing.

And does anyone know if the hub assembly, such as the one in that link, would typically already include the wheel bearing in it?

Yes it does.

You will also need a new hub nut and some means to remove the old one and torque the new one (it's a 36mm nut AFAIK and it must be torqued to 258 ft-llbs...):

1994-04 Mustang Front Hub To Spindle Nut by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

You may also consider having a new dust cap on hand in case the old one breaks during removal:

1994-04 Mustang Front Spindle Nut Dust Cap by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

You may be able to find the bearing itself but (a) you'd need a press to replace the bearing in the hub and (b) most parts sources simply sell the hub for less than $70. It's a no-brainer to just go for the replacement hub.

Replacing the hub is simply the service procedure for a bad front wheel bearing.

Yes it does.

You will also need a new hub nut and some means to remove the old one and torque the new one (it's a 36mm nut AFAIK and it must be torqued to 258 ft-llbs...):

1994-04 Mustang Front Hub To Spindle Nut by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

You may also consider having a new dust cap on hand in case the old one breaks during removal:

1994-04 Mustang Front Spindle Nut Dust Cap by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Wow, thanks for all of that info trinity_gt, I really appreciate it. :hail2:

I finally got a chance to jack the car up and much to my surprise, there is absolutely zero play at all in the wheel. I grabbed it firmly on the top and bottom surfaces quickly jolted it in and out and nothing. Grabbed in on both sides and did the same and zero play!

I was strongly assuming the issue was a faulty wheel bearing, but now I am not so sure. If there is no play that would rule out a wheel bearing issue right?

If anyone has any ideas on this, I would be VERY grateful to hear what you think. Thanks!! :hail2::hail2:

I would still lean towards wheel bearing. Pull it and inspect. The play usually occurs when rollers from the bearing or the race are severly damaged. Overheated, dry bearings will sing too but may not show slop at some temperatures. I would pull it and inspect for discoloration. If there is none and there race looks smooth, repack with a good synthetic grease and see if your noise is gone.

The bearings are sealed and not serviceable so they can't be re-packed.

To get a better idea of the condition of the bearing I would pull the wheel/tire and remove the brake caliper and then rotate the hub to get for roughness. The mass and inertia of the wheel assembly and residual drag of the brake can mask roughness that might otherwise be felt.

Given the symptoms I'm sticking to the theory that the wheel hub assembly on that side needs to be replaced, even if there's no play. The early stages of bearing failure is usually noise. Slop and play will come later...

Thanks again guys. A little update here. The noise seems to be affected when I put pressure on my brake pedal. It really seems like its a mechanical noise somehow directly related to the brakes. I am not ruling out the wheel bearings just yet, but the noise is definitely increased in tone when ever the brakes are even slightly applied.

And to add to this strange noise, it only happens when the car sits overnight. It is noticeably louder in tone after it sits for a weekend. When I drive the car from work to go home, the sound is not there. But everyday before work, the noise returns for the first mile and then disappears again until the next day after it sits overnight.

It is clearly a mechanical sound almost like a motor or pump whining. I cannot describe it any better, so please accept my apologies.

So, with this newly updated info, could this change your opinions of it being a wheel bearing, or do you think it still indicates a failing wheel bearing??

If you guys still think it is the wheel bearing, I will take your word for it and get everything ordered to install next weekend. I just wanted to share this new updated info with you guys and see if you think its something else.

Thanks guys!!!!!:hail2::hail2::hail2::hail2: