Off Topic: Job Hunt

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I have a strange question for you guys. A friend of mine has been having trouble finding a job and I was wondering if anyone might have a good lead on one for him.

He is 25 years old and has earned a bachelor's degree in business and a master's degree in sports management. He received both degrees from Texas Tech. I thought he would get snapped right up by some company or something, but he graduated in May and has not had any good job prospects since then. His dream job would be to work for a baseball team, and that is why he pursued a master's in sports management. I don't know if that will happen but I've got my fingers crossed.

• Sponsors (?)

I know the situation, I'm 22, with a degree in IT majoring in software engineering and computing science, a degree in science majoring in physical mathematics. My dream is to build physics modelling software, games mainly, but I'd enjoy suspension modelling, that sort of thing. Anyways, I've been looking for a good job for 8 months, still nothing. When I got out of uni I got a job doing IT support for 39k for 7 weeks, contract was for 5 but they kept me on a bit longer, then 4 months of nothing, till eventually my job recruitment place offered me a factory job, which I actually did for 2 months, till I was offered another IT job. That first week was hell though, I got home every night at midnight cursing about wasting my life getting an education so I could go do something I could have dropped out of high-school to do. Anyways the 3 month IT contract I was meant to have got broken after 6 days, because I wasn't fitting in... whatever that meant. So I went back to the factory place, they gave me another job that sucked, and I couldn't do it, my back was getting worse every day to the point of getting home, having a shower and not being able to move. So a week later, I'm jobless again. YAY! But I am in a different country, where prospects may be different. I still know what he's going through though.

Anyways, I have no leads, and I doubt you guys have leads for me, as I'm over here, and most of you are over there. Good luck to your friend.

It's a tough job market out there for younger people these days. My son has a degree in chemistry and works as a quality control technician, hopefully getting into the engineering department of a manufacturing company. He went to many job interviews, but they all want experience. Sometimes you just have to start at the bottom. Good luck to your friend.

Yeah the job market is pretty crappy right now. I am in the process of obtaining a teacher's certification. They keep telling me that there is a high demand for teachers, and I won't have any trouble finding a job once I finish my training.

I'm putting in my time as a student teacher right now, and I'm discovering what the real deal is on the teaching thing. Call me crazy, but I love it so far. Of course the pay sucks (Texas State law says they can't pay student teachers a dime), but the kids are great and it's a fun job.

jikelly said:
Yeah the job market is pretty crappy right now. I am in the process of obtaining a teacher's certification. They keep telling me that there is a high demand for teachers, and I won't have any trouble finding a job once I finish my training.

I'm putting in my time as a student teacher right now, and I'm discovering what the real deal is on the teaching thing. Call me crazy, but I love it so far. Of course the pay sucks (Texas State law says they can't pay student teachers a dime), but the kids are great and it's a fun job.

I don't know of any state that will pay a student teacher, but you can get a sub certificate and get paid that way. You just won't be able to go to class, because you are in a classroom.

I could have done the Sub thing. I think I only would have needed 150 hours to meet the certification requirement. Wait, is that right? I think it was more like 3 months worth of hours. Anyway, the only problem with not getting paid as a student teacher is your at a school from 7am to 5pm and you still have to find some way to make money so you can eat. As far as I know no job = no eat.

I cheated of course and got a student loan to cover me somewhat this semester. I am working like 6 hours three nights a week at my old job though. I don't think it's going to kill me but man do I have a headache right now.

jikelly said:
I could have done the Sub thing. I think I only would have needed 150 hours to meet the certification requirement. Wait, is that right? I think it was more like 3 months worth of hours. Anyway, the only problem with not getting paid as a student teacher is your at a school from 7am to 5pm and you still have to find some way to make money so you can eat. As far as I know no job = no eat.

I cheated of course and got a student loan to cover me somewhat this semester. I am working like 6 hours three nights a week at my old job though. I don't think it's going to kill me but man do I have a headache right now.

That's what we did. Wife got a student loan, work at BK during the day, school at night, then drove 60 miles one way 3 years later to get her Masters, now is a school Principal making 75.

My lady friend says that school administration pays well. She is a supervisor for the computer programming department and makes more than twice my salary. On the plus side, being in a union, I can work only 8 hours a day if I want and leave.

Yeah school admin pays alot more than teaching. I really don't know why that is, but like all other companies management always gets paid more. Maybe they really do work harder.

My friend got a job interview with the city of Waco recreation department. His stepdad knew someone who worked for the city and put in a good word. I've got my fingers crossed although I'll miss him if he moves out there.

jikelly said:
Yeah school admin pays alot more than teaching. I really don't know why that is, but like all other companies management always gets paid more. Maybe they really do work harder.

My friend got a job interview with the city of Waco recreation department. His stepdad knew someone who worked for the city and put in a good word. I've got my fingers crossed although I'll miss him if he moves out there.

Basically, it's because they usually have the most years in, and they have to evaluate the teachers and so they need to know everything that the teachers don't, and they have the responsibility of everyone in the buildings safety and well being. Lotta weight on them shoulders. Not to mention, they get their ass chewed everytime some lame parent has a bad day and needs to unload.

My friend struck out with the interview. It sucks because I think he is going to move away and try to find greener pastures. Who am I gonna play Halo with?

Oz, My dad and mom were both in education. My dad was a principal at a few of my schools growing up including my high school, and my mom was a special ed teacher and diagnostician. My dad went on to administration and the big bucks. I have a lot of respect for what administrators and pricipals do. Feel free to call me stupid if you want, but I am still not so sure that they are worth 30-200 grand more than a classroom teacher.