Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Skud said:
I tok my '02 GT w/ 16,000km in today. I had them do an oil change, look at the tranny, and some suspension noise.

Didn't take them long to do everything. They also said they couln't get the tranny to do the "crunch". They did say that ford has a bulletin to lower the fluid to 3.2L, which they did. I guess I'll see if it helps at all.

I think Im going to go for a ride with the tech when I go to pick it up. I'll see if I can show them what the tranny does.

Riley

Please ask them what "Bulletin" they are referring to. My understanding is that the recommendation to lower the tranny fluid level came from TTC/Tremec, not Ford. It's also my understanding that the official word from Ford on the fluid level is 4 quarts (this from the TSB regarding cold gear clash) yet my manual states something different!

Please ask them what bulletin they are referring to so we all can find out more about this. I'm really not aware of any Ford service bulletin that tells the techs to lower the fluid level. :shrug:

I received another email from Jon at Tremec that more or less states that Tremec cannot release any more information on the status of the 3650 until a TSB is issued.

So I guess that we're going to have to wait at this point, but I have a feeling that it will be issued by the spring.

Ford Corporate Guy Called Me

Hey,
I got a call from Ford today. Not from the dealer, it was from the Northeast Dealer complaint guy. I had emailed him 2 times. He took down my VIN and I explained the problem to him. I told him the dealership run around that I have been getting with the "it's normal" speech. He is going to call me back tomorrow after he has had a chance to make some calls. I hope this is going to help and not some PR smoke blowing.

It wont, its not going to help, nothings going to help, i called all the way from dealer to state, to head, which i talked to everyone, nothings going to get done till a tsb comes out. All they will do is up your warrenty cause of this, like they did with mine.

Update on my situation...

Well guys, here's a little update on my situation. If you remember, I have a friend that works for Ford and he ordered the 3 new parts to fix the tranny. Now, I just talked to him and he checked on the parts today, they were ordered at least a week ago. At first, he told me they were special order parts, which means they were only ordered per car. This wasn't something they could order a mass supply of, yet. But now, as of today, I got some more news. He recieved a letter back, which I'm going to look at tomorrow, which states they could not issue the parts. He thinks its because they are too new, Ford is not releasing the parts yet. He said he is going to talk to his service manager tomororw and see if he can just throw another brand new tranny in there, since there is no fix for this one. Now, problem is...the new tranny will do the exact same thing. But, it does sound good...brand new tranny. Hmmm...

I'm going talk to him and his service manager tomorrow. I'll give you guys any updates I have. But it doesn't look as good as it did. :( Even though he works at Ford and was going to do it for me, what ever division of Ford he ordered the parts from will not issue them for this. :notnice:

Hope someone can get a little more feedback from Jon Veith about this. Whatever happend to that 1-2 weeks the parts will be made readily available at your Ford deal bit? :shrug:

BMan5150 said:
Please ask them what "Bulletin" they are referring to. My understanding is that the recommendation to lower the tranny fluid level came from TTC/Tremec, not Ford. It's also my understanding that the official word from Ford on the fluid level is 4 quarts (this from the TSB regarding cold gear clash) yet my manual states something different!

Please ask them what bulletin they are referring to so we all can find out more about this. I'm really not aware of any Ford service bulletin that tells the techs to lower the fluid level. :shrug:

Well I got it back and it still grinds. In fact it did it as I was leaving the lot. I would have taken it back if they didn't close up as I left.

This is what the complaint was:

"Customer says 1-2 shift has a little bit of grind before it goes into gear. This is worse when cold. Tranny whines in 1, 2, 3. Tranny has jumped out of second gear 4 times at least while driving"

This is what the Correction says:

"Checked for noise and trans operation. Could not get the grinding and/or popping put of 4th to happen. Some noise is normal. Changed trans oil as per SSM 15669."

The parts they listed were 4 of CXT-2-LM12 "Fluid TransM"

So, I'm going to take it back and have a tech ride with me when it does it.

Riley

Ford Guy called me back

Bad news,
The Ford guy called me back like he said and left a message on my phone. This is what he had to say,

"He called the Assembly Plant Engineer and he indicated that Ford Engineering was certainly aware of the situation that consumers are concerned about and have reviewed it thoughly and there is nothing that they are putting into action to address this issue. As they have concluded there are no performance or durability issues associated with it and there are no bulletins that he could confirm for my specific vehicle."

It appears that Ford Engineering knows of the complaints, have looked into it, and feel that it is not a problem. "There are no performance or durabilty issues associated with it,"

With this being said, we should not have to double clutch, do any wiggles of the shifter in neutral, or shift rediculously slow. Just shift as you would in normal driving and let it grind away for this is NORMAL and ACCEPTABLE.

but of course it is, c'mon we all should know by now that if Ford or any other manufactuer for that matter don't know what the problem is they chalk it up as "normal" That's fine I'll keep driving it the way it is til it's really fubar and they can fix it again.

Update!

I just spoke to my friend at Ford and...despite that letter he recieved stating that the parts are NOT to be issued because of engineering, he recieved 3 packages today. They happen to be the new parts! I dunno why, because he got a letter stating that they are NOT to be issued due to engineering issues, but he recieved them today. So looks like my car is going down for the fix afterall!

I'll keep everyone updated!!!

Unfort it appears that Jon Vieth's hands are tied right now.

It's up to us to force the issue with Ford or wait for the TSB to be issued as Jon feels it should be within the near future.

Yea, I'm just gonna take mine in. I think it's broke enough to have fixed even though it'll be the same ****ty parts. This is the 4th time and car has 20,000. Mods are in sig and have maybe 10-15 track passes on street tires. This is my daily driver/show car(someday)/divorce present to myself. I have a project car I'm working on to beat on but love my 01 Cobra to cruise around and "pimp" in but dayum when it grinds going in to 2 gear or you have to bypass 2 gear it's embarassing and hope no one hears/sees you :(

It's a Catch 22

I called the Ford guy back and had a long talk. He is a Ford Executive Rep. for warranty or service?

I explained to him that it is not normal, I have had two technicians say that it is bad. One with me in the car, the other on his own. I told him that I felt the dealer won't touch it because they are afriad they will not be covered under warranty. I asked if there was someone outside the dealer to take it for a ride and show the issue to and for him to ok the work. He said that wasn't going to happen.

Ford Engineering's decision that this is basically normal, "no performance or durability issue," and the only thing out there is the SSB 15669. All the dealers are authorized to do is the fluid change to synthetic. I ask him how can we pressure engineering to revisit the problem and issue a TSB. He said that through the dealer warranty network, if there are enough complaints or occurances they will then look into it. Here's the catch. If this is considered acceptable by engineering and the fluid change is all that is allowed. The dealers will peform the fluid change. If the problem is still there they will continue to tell you that it is normal because engineering said so. Normal means they will not perform any warranty work. No work means no increase of warranty claims back to engineering. No increase in claims so they won't ever revisit the issue.

What are our options now? Maybe if we all bypass the dealer and go straight to corporate with our complaints? Any suggestions?

They'll fix mine since it's pretty fubar, they told me to wait as long as possible so they can research this and maybe wait for something to happen. I work at the KC Assembly Plant, I'll have my union rep call his counterpart at Dearborn assembly and see whats up.

psnous

That is the key now. A simple grind will be overlooked, FUBAR or inoperatable transmission will have to be addressed and replaced. Replaced with another potentionally bad transmission.

What happens when you are on your 5th or 6th and now are out of warranty?

I wonder if we all sent a complaint to the address below, or called the 800# if they would finally realize that this is really an issue with this transmission that needs fixed? If they got thousands of letters or calls, maybe they would quit ignoring this. When you spend $25,000.00+ for a car, it should shift smoothly. If it's 30 degrees out or lower mine just grinds the piss out of the gears when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and I'm not doing anything wrong. I have found that if I take off in 1st and shift into 2nd below 10mph, it don't do it or do it as bad. But you can't hardly do that if you are trying to pick up speed quickly to get into traffic.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)

I've already gone that route myself, I sent a complaint letter in and received a response from Ford Customer Viewpoint basically stating that they apologize for the inconvience and that there are no known issues or TSBs scheduled to their knowledge. Their only recommendation was to go in for a tranny fluid change. I even addressed that in my letter because I knew it would be their response...but apparently they didn't see that part of my letter or it wasn't read very closely or it was some kind of canned response.

A 2003 transmission that had 1000 miles on it shouldn't need a fluid change to correct a problem but it was done. Now with 21,000 miles on her all they want to do is change the fluid again. The fluid never corrected the problem in the first place. Is anyone familar with Texas lemon law? The car will be approaching its 1 year mark in February and I no longer want it if this is the kind of service, quality, and results I can expect down the road. I mean c'mon when the warranty is up then what? Wheeeewww feel a little better now at least. Anyways if anyone has any details on what I need to do to lemon law the car or get it bought back by Ford let me know. Thanks!

brianmef said:
I wonder if we all sent a complaint to the address below, or called the 800# if they would finally realize that this is really an issue with this transmission that needs fixed? If they got thousands of letters or calls, maybe they would quit ignoring this. When you spend $25,000.00+ for a car, it should shift smoothly. If it's 30 degrees out or lower mine just grinds the piss out of the gears when I shift from 1st to 2nd, and I'm not doing anything wrong. I have found that if I take off in 1st and shift into 2nd below 10mph, it don't do it or do it as bad. But you can't hardly do that if you are trying to pick up speed quickly to get into traffic.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)

Twisted said:
That is the key now. A simple grind will be overlooked, FUBAR or inoperatable transmission will have to be addressed and replaced. Replaced with another potentionally bad transmission.

What happens when you are on your 5th or 6th and now are out of warranty?

Well due to my very unsatisfied dealings with this and called and wrote everyone possible my drivetrain warranty is good for 2 more years after my 3/36 is up and/or 75,000 miles