Oil Change Problem

Metalli485

Nov 10, 1998
Plano, TX
I changed the oil and oil filter in my 2000 GT and now its reading above full on the dipstick. I'm aware of the 5 qt vs 6 qt debate so my plan was to add 5 qts and add another half quart if needed. However, after adding just 5 quarts its reading overfull.

Before the oil change, I checked the dipstick and it was right at the min mark. When I drained out the old oil it came out to only 3 quarts (including the oil that came out of the filter).

I had the front wheels on ramps so is it possible that 1 or 2 quarts weren't able to drain out? I want to drain out a little oil until the level is below the max mark but it doesn't seem right to drain oil after putting only 5 quarts in. :shrug:

For anyone that uses ramps to change their oil, do you have problems with some of the oil not draining out?

• Sponsors (?)

I forgot to mention that when I was checking the dipstick the car was off of the ramps on level ground. I let the engine run for a few min, shut it off, and waited about 10 min before checking the oil level.

Found another surprise while I was down there. The moron that changed my oil at some lube place over tightened the drain plug and chewed up the threads. Fortunately I was able to put the plug back in but I'll be getting a new plug asap. Is there supposed to be a small gasket on the drain plug because mine didn't have any kind of gasket on it?

In answer to your first question, did you fill the oil filter up BEFORE putting it in? If you did not do this, then it could take sometimes around an hour for the oil in the pan to fill the filter up. I'd recommend checking it later today or even tomorrow and seeing the level then.

Second question, I BELIEVE there should be a small rubber-like gasket between the plug and the pan.

Also, does your oil pan have two drain plugs by any chance? My 95 has two plugs, and if you only undo one of them you only get 2-3 quarts out of it.

No I did not fill the filter up. I drove my car a few miles yesterday and checked the level this morning. Still showing above the full line.

I don't think my pan has two plugs. I've heard of older mustangs having two plugs but I only saw one on mine. Can someone verify that a 2000 GT has only one drain plug. I looked around again and only saw one.

Have the same issue with my '93 GT. Drain oil on warm engine, replace oil filter, fill to 5 quarts, check with dipstick, checks way above markings. My other 5.0 would show right on the full mark with 5 quarts. This one shows way outta the ballpark. Very odd.

I just got a new plug and it has an oring like kilgore mentioned. Part of me wants to ignore the dipstick but the fact that 3 quarts came out makes me think that a quart or two didn't drain out. How could I have been running on just three quarts with no problems?

There should be a seal on the drain plug.
If you're a little over full don't worry. I almost always over fill my vehicles for over 30 years without issues.
If your cars on an angle when changing oil, you might leave a little bit of old oil in the pan, but if you change oil at regular intervals, don't worry about it.
Just wipe the drain plug dry, then recheck for a leak. If it's not leaking, just put in your new drain plug at your next oil change, and drive your car. Sounds like you're a worrier, have a beer and relax. j/k.

My 2000 GT only has one plug. I want to say it has an O-Ring in the flange of the plug but i couldn't promise. I never use a sealer and have had no leakage. The filter is going to hold about half a quart after you run the engine. Go get that beer.

I decided to drain some oil and I think I figured out what is going on. I drained out about a quart and the oil level is reading between max and min now. The oil I drained out was much darker than it should have been. This leads me to believe that there was about a quart that didn't drain out when I first changed the oil. I'm not sure why it failed to drain but in the future I will add 4 quarts and then add more as needed to get the level where it needs to be. Adding more oil is much less of a PITA than draining excess oil.

Has anyone ever kept track of how many quarts of oil drains out of the pan and filter? Is it usually less than was put in at the last oil change?

mine was perfect with 5 quarts.

the only thing I can think of is that maybe the wrong filter was on the car before you changed it? those places are notorious and not for good quality. lol someone will understand what I'm trying say.

I decided to drain some oil and I think I figured out what is going on. I drained out about a quart and the oil level is reading between max and min now. The oil I drained out was much darker than it should have been. This leads me to believe that there was about a quart that didn't drain out when I first changed the oil. I'm not sure why it failed to drain but in the future I will add 4 quarts and then add more as needed to get the level where it needs to be. Adding more oil is much less of a PITA than draining excess oil.

Has anyone ever kept track of how many quarts of oil drains out of the pan and filter? Is it usually less than was put in at the last oil change?

Eleven years Metalli485...? I was here then and then lost my profile... What are you doing? Are you seeding threads...? :stick:

:cool:

Eleven years Metalli485...? I was here then and then lost my profile... What are you doing? Are you seeding threads...? :stick:

:cool:

Haha, not sure what you mean by seeding threads.

I joined eleven years ago because I really wanted a mustang when I was in high school. Of course I didn't get one until I was half way through college. :rlaugh: Now after owning it four years I decided to stop being lazy and change the oil myself from now on.

Haha, not sure what you mean by seeding threads.

I joined eleven years ago because I really wanted a mustang when I was in high school. Of course I didn't get one until I was half way through college. :rlaugh: Now after owning it four years I decided to stop being lazy and change the oil myself from now on.

:rlaugh: